Windows Server 2003/Active Directory Questions

Discussion in 'Software' started by votetrev, Jul 9, 2006.

1. votetrev

votetrev Private E-2

Ok, I have a few questions.

I have a tablet with Windows XP and a desktop with Windows XP running vmware with numerous different operating systems including Windows 2000 and Windows XP. Also on my network is a desktop/server running Windows 2003 Enterprise Server.

I want to be able to understand active desktop and running a server in general so this is why I am doing this.

First of all, I have a domain say it is trevor.com I want to be able to run my webserver and an email server (not sure what though, imap, pop3...?) for trevor.com right now I am using dynamic dns from zoneedit.com to update my ip when it changes and run the dns pointing towards my computer since i have a dynamic ip which is working just fine. I can't figure out how to setup my server to take care of the e-mail so that would be greatly appreciated it anyone could lead me in the right direction on that one.

Another question I had, the most important one, is right now my server 2003 domain is trevor.local Is this the correct format or does it need to be trevor.com like my online domain trevor.com

Also, if I have a subdomain ftp.trevor.com how do i associate that with an ftp login account so that i can use the address ftp.trevor.com instead of having to type in ftp://trevor.com (more just wondering and is not really important)

Now on to why I gave you the details about my different computers/operating systems. For my companies computing department I work for they use active directory. When a user logs on to their personal computer everything comes up on the screen such as there desktop icons, etc. When they go to a completely different machine and logon the computer comes up with the exact same desktop icons, etc. Now my problem is that when I login to one machine, log off and log back on everything is retained. However, if I login to a completely different machine with the exact same login name none of the settings stay, the settings are completely hardware/system dependant instead of account/login dependant. Does anyone know how to solve this problem so that I can log into any computer with a user account and have the exact same settings retained.

Next problem, where I work at the users My Documents folders are linked to there H:/ (personal network) drive. I know you can do this by right clicking on my documents and assigning it that location but is there a way to do that in a logon script....what would be the best way?

Another thing I'm not sure on is that I want each account/user to have there own space on the server to store things. I want them to be able to have an H:/ drive that points to the users folder on the server. What is the best way to do this. Do I have to physically create the folder and go in and give them permissions to access the folder/drive? Can I have a script do all of this? If so what would it look like?

I also am not to sure on scripts...i want to add a printer, personal drive, and storage drive, link the my documents to there personal drive and possibly more. Anyone have any little code snippets on how to do this?

I'm so sorry about all the questions! Although I havent posted on this forum I have gained tons of knowledge from looking around in the past :) I would REALLY appreciate ANY information anyone has on any of these topics or anything else they think will help me along the way. You can reply in here or add me on msn at votetrev@hotmail.com Thanks!!!

2. votetrev

votetrev Private E-2

anyone, any advice on any of this?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds