windows server 2003

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tomas_andrews99, Jul 28, 2005.

1. tomas_andrews99

tomas_andrews99 Private E-2

i have manged to talk the boss into buying windows server 2003, so we can control network shares and take advantage of user permissions etc.
    but i need to know some information first.
    i have looked at the windows server 2003 small business edition, that comes complete with 5 CALs. but i need to know what this is all about.

this is the situation: we have 5 pcs at the moment, all running xp pro sp2. all connected via a wireless network.
    we all share and save our documents to the main computer. but as different people require different information, we need to limit the access to certain shares. i have been told that having windows sever will allow this.
    i need to know how the server works. am i correct in believing that the server holds all the information, including access to programs?
    we all use Microsoft outlook for contact information, at the moment we all have different contacts, with different documents etc.
    if i get windows server 2003 will this mean that all the computers will join a domain, and that all of them will use programs and resources directly from the server. and if so, do i need purchase a new server package of office etc for it to work?

could some one point me in the right direction as to what the company will need after i have purchased windows server.

will i have to re-install windows on the machines using the CALS or can i just leave them running xp pro?

i have just purchased a PC Cillin that has 5 licenses, will i have to get a server copy of this?

i have also purchased egenie back up software, does this have to be changed for a server edition?

any information on this would be great, as i cant really make any sense of the info MS is providing.

thanks for your help

2. Coco

Coco Sergeant Major

I wouldn't normally recommend this, but you might want to take a windows server course. Or get someone to come in and help setup plus do a little training. You're asking a little too much for a general help question. Windows server software isn't always the easiest to follow, it's designed for system admins to use not the average joe. Well some of the basic features are fairly simple to figure out it can get quite complex, and I wouldn't personally want to attempt learning it for the first time by launching in live in a work environment.

That being said I'll try to answer your questions briefly but I do highly recommend at least getting a book about windows server 2003 if you're serious about this.

-The server doesn't really limit access to programs. I mean it can, but essentially all you're doing is having it open user profiles that don't have the links to certain programs in the start menu, a computer savy user could still open them if they did it manually.

-You can setup a server to be a domain controller or not. It's up to you. For a lot of the features to work you will have to set it up as a domain controller. As for program files, well, you can make them term into the server and run programs from there, but typically speaking they'd still run all applications from the local computer.

-You do not have to reinstall the other windows XP machines, they can simply be added to a domain.

- You shouldn't have to buy a PC Cillian server copy.

- egenie shouldn't need a server copy either.

Now, all that being said, it's worth noting that you can already limit peoples rights to certain shares using any NT based machine (heck you can even sort of do it with ME and 9x). With the exception of windows XP Home since it doesn't allow you to access the security tab. Although you can still do it with the share settings, it's just a little less secure.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds