Windows Service Pack 3 Problems

Discussion in 'Software' started by gemini1girl, Nov 14, 2010.

1. gemini1girl

gemini1girl Private E-2

I have never been able to successfully leave Windows SP3 on my computer as it messes up my internet, saying connection was reset and then the page doesn't load. Also the last time it installed, there was an error access denied. Then I had trouble uninstalling it. Had to do a system restore. I have tried several times with the same result. Friday being the last attempt. I wouldn't even try it again, but I have a webcam and one of the requirements is SP3. What can I do? Thanks.

2. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

Hi Gemini1girl, and welcome.

I'm not knowledgeable enough to help you resolve this issue, but you do want
    to eventually get a successful install.

I think you will need to give a little more info about the error(s) that you are
    getting and how you get to that point where the error occurs.

Any detailed info about the error message you get will help.

Apparently you are using Windows XP, is that right?

3. pattyandme

pattyandme Private E-2

just for giggles do you have sp2 installed?
    try the network install?
    get the updates afterwords?
    update IE?

4. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

5. gemini1girl

gemini1girl Private E-2

I have tried so many times I want to give up. If it were not for the web cam requirement of SP3, I probably would not attempt it again. It installs, but when I restart it says access denied error, but it's in my programs. Then my internet connection goes wonky. My page hangs and then comes up connection had to be reset, and I end up going off the internet and coming back on and it still happens. When I tried to uninstall it this time, I had problems. I ended up with doing a system restore to the previous day.

Do I really need it? Can I install the web cam without it? I have read so many articles in the last few days and it scares me as people have had so much trouble with it, even to where they had to re-install Windows. I am not that knowledgeable about computers, so I am in a quandry.

I have Windows XP , AVG, Spywareblaster and Malwarebytes. I also use Mozilla.
    I did turn off my AVG before installing.

6. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Can you give the model computer and the model webcam? I just want to see if there is a work around to installing SP3. Where do you see the message you need SP3 to install the webcam?

7. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

Yes, unfortunately you do need it.
    Support is ending for some versions of Windows

Do you have SP2 installed?
    To find out, right click on My Computer which should be on your Desktop.
    click Properties and select the General tab.
    It should look like the attached image.

What Mozilla are you using?
    If it is Mozilla Application Suite, that is an old program and is no longer supported.
    You should have the latest version of Firefox 3
    *OR*
    Pale Moon which is the Same As Firefox except optimized for Windows - very nice.

Take a look at this Microsoft Support article Steps to take before you install Windows XP Service Pack 3,
    particularly Prerequisites to install Windows XP SP3 and
    Steps that are required before you install Windows XP SP3.

These instructions seem more concise and easier to follow:
    Installing Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3)
    It tells you how to go to Windows Update, where you can install SP3.

From there you can either install immediately or click Save and download the installation file to your computer.

If you download the installation file, you can then follow pwillener's instuctions:
    • Shut down all user applications and processes
    • Disable my network connection
    • Shut down my firewall
    • Disable all active anti-virus and anti-spyware applications
    • Disable any other security software

To disable your network connection:
    • open Control Panel
    • open Network Connections
    • right click the item where the Status shows Connected
      and then select Disable in the context menu.

After the installation is complete, go back and check to see if that connection
    is Connected. If not, right click again to Enable it.
    After it shows Connected, you can right click again and select Repair which May help if there is some problem with it.

Hope this helps.
    Good Luck. :)

P.S.
    If you already have the latest version of Firefox installed and you want to install
    Pale Moon and transfer your Firefox settings to Pale Moon,
    there is a Migration Tool that you can download to do that.

Attached Files:

8. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

I forgot to mention that you should first do scans for malware.
    If your computer IS infected with some kind of malware, that could be the
    reason for the failed install.

Update your antivirus and malwarebytes and also download
    SUPERAntiSpyware (SAS).
    Instructions for use are here: (SAS) Installing, Configuring and Running a Scan

Also, Using Malwarebytes Antimalware

Full cleaning instructions here: Malware Removal

There is a link at the bottom of the page for Windows XP Cleaning Procedure.

There is a separate forum for malware removal and the people there are very
    knowledgeable and helpful.

9. gemini1girl

gemini1girl Private E-2

I have Windows SP2 installed. How do I find what version of Mozilla I have. I know it's not the 3.6. If I shut down all security after save the SP3 file, then download the file, I will be safe without the security for the time being? Also, do you think with all the problems I have had, that I will be able to reconnect?
    I will follow this, I am afraid, but I will try. I have read alot of horror stories and I don't want to have to reinstall windows if something bad happens.

Sach 2, the webcam I must have read something wrong it says compatible with SP2. So I can download it.

10. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

To find out what version of Mozilla you have while it's running, select the Help item on the top menu bar and then About.

After you download the file you'll disable the connection so nothing can get in or out.

Be sure to do the basics of the malware cleaning first.
    It's a bit time consuming but not really a big deal.
    You'll just download a few programs using the links on the malware removal pages,
    and then follow the instructions step by step as they are shown.
    That might take care of of whatever is causing the problems.

Then make a new Restore Point before you start.

If possible, make backup copies of your important docs and stuff just in case.

As to the reconnecting, Enabling the connection again is easy as you'll see
    when you do the Disable. From what you have said, you already had more than one failed install
    and you got everything back OK.

Why not check in here again after the cleanup and let us know how that went.
    Take your time. Don't rush anything.
    You'll survive.
    It won't blow up or burn your house down. LOL

I was lucky. It worked for me the first time without a hitch.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds