Windows services needed for a computer that is a part of a wireless network

Discussion in 'Software' started by Cheever J. Loophole, Jun 9, 2008.

1. Cheever J. Loophole

Cheever J. Loophole Private E-2

Hello,

i need some help with disabling windows (xp sp3) services. The problem is that my computer is a part of a wireless network, and i dont know what services i have to leave on manual or automatic. I have already tryed a couple time to set them up according to the blackviper list, but every time (a couple days later) i couldn't connect to the internet or even see the network.

This last time, the same thing, i can see the network and connect, but "can't find the server". So i put almost all sevices to automatic or manual, and i'm waiting once again that i can "find the server" and surf or download. As alomst all services ar on automatic or manual i dont see that it would help if i post my services.

If you know what services i have to set to automatic or manual in my case (being a part of a wireless network) please let me know.

Thanks in advance

2. akhilles

akhilles First Sergeant

IMO, it's a waste of time to disable unneeded services cuz when s*** happens, you'll pull your hair out trying to figure out which service is needed at the time. They aren't gonna eat up all the resources. Just turn on windows firewall and you're ok.

3. Cheever J. Loophole

Yea, i know what you mean, but i wanted to disable only sevices that are a security risk, and ones that i'm realy shure i wont need. It looks like one of the services in blackviper list that is described as useless has some effect to my wireless network if i disable it, so i'l just leave it like it is now, there are only 3-4 that i susspect, and they are on manual, so it's good.

Thanks for your reply

4. akhilles

akhilles First Sergeant

I'm sorry but that's not good security. If your services are safe, they won't cause problems. What you need to do is install a good firewall & update your software.

5. Cheever J. Loophole

Some services are a security risk, eve microsoft advises to disable them if you dont need them, other like uninteruptable power suply, imapi cd-burning, help and support, are not needed for most people.

I need the names of the services that afect a wireless network from working properly if disabled.

My computer is safe. I have zonealarm pro, bd antivirus 2008, counterspy 2.5, so no problems there.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds