Windows setup stops/hangs at "Registering devices"

Discussion in 'Software' started by Aquinax, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Aquinax

Aquinax Private E-2

Hello,

I am trying to install Windows XP to my old Acer Aspire 1300 notebook, and for the third or fourth time in a row the setup terminates (progress bar stops, nothing happens any more) at "Registering devices" step. I copied the setupapi.log, it is in the attachement.
    There are a lot of error messages like:

#E361 An unsigned or incorrectly signed file "C:\WINDOWS\system32\xactengine3_7.dll" will be installed (Policy=Ignore). Error 0x800b0110: The certificate is not valid for the requested usage.
    #E089 Failed to load the OLE Control "C:\WINDOWS\system32\xactengine3_7.dll". Error 0xc000001d: Unknown Error.
    #E291 Failed to register OLE server "C:\WINDOWS\system32\xactengine3_7.dll". Error 0xc000001d: Unknown Error.
    #-290 Processing REGISTERDLLS section [DirectXRuntimes.Register]. Binary: "%11%\XAudio2_0.dll", flags: 0x0001, timeout: 60s. ...
    ... #E357 Registration of "C:\WINDOWS\system32\XAudio2_0.dll" appears to have hung.
    #E291 Failed to register OLE server "C:\WINDOWS\system32\XAudio2_0.dll". Error 258: The wait operation timed out.

If you have a clue of what is going on, feel free to share your thoughts - any sensible comments are welcome.

Attached Files:

2. Aquinax

Aquinax Private E-2

problem solved. My system turned out to be too slow and I just had to wait long enough (>40 mins).
    I would ask the moderators to delete this thread since I have not found out how I could do that myself. Thank you.

3. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

No, that is a rather typical situation. Can't tell you how many times I have been doing an install and it just sits there saying 12 minutes left. An hour later, it finishes!! LOL.

4. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

Truthfully, you know where I've had some success with older laptops?

Darik's Boot & Nuke.

If you don't want to salvage data, nuke the HDD, and then use a quick format with the Windows Installation.

Can't say it will speed it up with a dying drive, but it has helped quite a few, including the Dell I just finished.

:major

5. Aquinax

Aquinax Private E-2

TimW, thanks for the reply.
    Mekanic, no I don't think this is the right software in my case, thank you for replying as well.

6. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

No problem. :) Have you thought about checking the amount of RAM you have installed? You may be needing more to speed things up a bit.

7. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

I put that up as a last resort.

Funny thing is, that when you "format" with Windows, it rarely re-writes old data, and you CAN recover data after a Windows "format".

Sometimes, your best bet is to start over with every cylinder turned proper, clean as a baby's bum.

Boot & Nuke, will do that.

:major

Just keep the fan on HI...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds