Windows startup repair - bitlocker system

Discussion in 'Software' started by SuAngel2, Aug 28, 2010.

1. SuAngel2

SuAngel2 Private E-2

I am running W7 on Dell desk top, 6GB RAM, 539GB still of free space. I purchased another remote HD yesterday (1TB) and wish to back up there. The HD is up and running but the backup will not run. The computer seems to be running fine (please note that last week Dell put in new MotherBoard.)

Troubleshooting says: "BitLocker Drive Encryption cannot be used because critical BitLocker system files are missing or corrupted. Use Windows Startup Repair to restore these files to your computer." It shows error code: 0x81000031. When I ask the computer to display the startup repair... there is nothing.

I went to MS site and they say go to Dell. Not sure I have the patience for that after 10 days of getting them to fix my 'dead' problem! (I only purchased computer last November. Once they took ownership of problem... it was repaired in 24 hrs.)

Can you direct this novice... Or do I need to go to Dell?
    Thanks kindly,
    Susan

2. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings, SuAngel2...

Right off the bat, I'd suggest checking out this Microsoft KB article: try the fixes there, and see if that changes anything...

Keep us posted...

3. SuAngel2

SuAngel2 Private E-2

Thank you Sir! I shall try this tomorrow when my mind is fresh and let you know. I didn't know I had done most of what is mentioned here! LOL But I shall go with the flow. :-o

4. SuAngel2

SuAngel2 Private E-2

Sigh... :-o she's back. I did as instructed but the outcome was the same with the same error code even! I do have that repair disc now though. Appreciate your assistance. Next?

5. Caliban

I'm assuming you have either the Enterprise or Ultimate W7 - I don't, so I'm shooting from the hip, here...

I wonder if you can just disable/decrypt from within Windows: check out this TechTalkz article, especially towards the end, where suspending encryption is explained...

6. SuAngel2

SuAngel2 Private E-2

Oh Caliban now I am truly beginning to freak. I am running Windows7 Home Premium, nothing special to my knowledge. Dell, x64, AMD Phenom, sys32... if you need know any further details please feel free to ask. I started to read of this BitLocker as you direct and see how important it is and I cannot locate it!! Yikes. Under "system & Security" it does not show the section "BitLocker" nor Device Manager but I can get to the Device Mgr by request at the Start Menu. With your last instructions I was able to disable/enable Bitlocker as part of the process in Dos and this was confirmed there... I am lost! HELP.

7. Caliban

That ain't good...

If you're running 7 HP, then this BitLocker thingy shouldn't have ever reared its ugly head...

For the moment, I'm stumped: maybe someone with more smarts than either of us will happen along and pitch in...meanwhile, I'll keep digging, and you do the same...

Keep your chin up! ;)

8. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee449438(WS.10).aspx#BKMK_Vista

That sounds like your Home Premium version of W7 does not come with Bitlocker encyption. Yes, you can install it to decrypt but not to encrypt ...

Can you set your Backup so that it doesn't need to use Bitlocker encryption? If not, it looks like Dell have made a booboo somewhere.

9. SuAngel2

SuAngel2 Private E-2

Ummm, okay, here is where I am now. I have gone back and 'disabled' according to the first set of instructions. Still is a problem but oh well. I am not looking to encrypt. I am looking to be set loose... free will! LOL

Then I started to consider the past. I do have a backup copy on my Passport that is from early August. Yet when the computer decided to take issue, the backups stopped. (I did not have the time to pursue.) Thinking now that I normally save to my remote hard drives anyway... there is not a lot to lose on the C drive.

So here I am once again... at the mercy of a computer. Darn. I shall do some checking with others and if necessary go to Dell when I have a total day to waste!!

Thanks for your efforts gents, it is most appreciated.

10. Caliban

Hope you can get some Dell satisfaction - good luck, and keep us posted!

11. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Something else to consider: the new external drive - it's possible that it installs it's own software which may include 'drag and drop' encryption. If so and this has been installed, maybe Windows is just giving the wrong message (it happens). Likely solution if that scenario is correct - format the external drive and uninstall any software/drivers that were installed with it.

12. SuAngel2

SuAngel2 Private E-2

A tiny update. The WD remote HD book did not have any installation really... but yes I tried and can drag/drop to it.

I was in a chat tech room tonight and even though my computer search would not recognize a request for "bitlocker"... we found under Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Services... listed plainly as BitLocker and disabled it; yet this made no difference to my process. I have stumped two techs in this room too.

This, as with a medical doctor, is NOT where I want to be the exception! Tomorrow is another day, baby steps. ;)

13. SuAngel2

SuAngel2 Private E-2

:confused Ok, here is present solution? Seems nothing was relative or explainable! When push came to shove, it seemed there was some sort of created file in my library (video program) that once removed allowed start of backup (backup is still in process so who knows). In effort to achieve this result, the found BitLocker file was enable/disabled more than once (cursed and hated by moi)... my new remote HD book was re-programed with EASEUS partition... we neutralized a background virus program (not being used but seemingly running)... and we examined every nook and cranny for possibilities!

I do have a new question of anyone using WD remote HDs... when I open my "computer" to see drives, I can see the 3 main drives (as they should be) but the section for "devices with removable storage" in addition to the DVD RW drive, shows TWO "CD drive (ID) WD SmartWare" UDF with 0 bytes free of 442MB. There are no CD/DVDs in the tower and I cannot figure why these show. "Eject" renders "MS notice of error occurred while ejecting" and that's it! No option to quit or delete!!

Seems it is ALWAYS something with computers! Any thoughts? :-o

Also... since 2001 my appreciation for "geeks" has grown and grown... THANK YOU for your knowledge and need to control! ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds