Windows/system32/config/system error

Discussion in 'Software' started by jason3333, Apr 15, 2006.

1. jason3333

jason3333 Private E-2

I am getting the message that WIndows XP (home) could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \windows\system32\config\system.

I have read various fixes on this and most point to the Microsoft article telling me how to recover a corrputed registry.

I've booted from the XP home CD and made it through to the repair console and am attempting to make the tmp directory (md tmp...and I also tried md c:\windows\tmp) and the response is "ACCESS DENIED". I also tried to do the first copy command into the tmp directory (thinking maybe it would create the folder on it's own) and I also get the response "ACCESS DENIED". What is this access denied response?

My DOS skills are poor so any advice that can get me back up and running would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

2. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus MajorGeek

Have you tried to make the tmp folder one step at a time?

Starting from C:\
    md windows
    C:\windows\md tmp

???

Hang on start again....

Starting from C:\
    cd windows
    Gets you here
    C:\windows
    now md tmp.

3. jason3333

jason3333 Private E-2

when I get the dos prompt c:\> I type cd windows...it then says the path or file specified is not valid.

4. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus MajorGeek

That's weird. Bill says that's the way to go.

Reading up on that article though about recovering from a corrupted registry it says that by doing what they say your system will end up with a registry that is like a 'fresh install'.

Seeing as your software won't then work they must be saying to do that so you can recovery documents etc because you are going to have to format & start again.

Have you got all your personal stuff backed up to a cd? Format might be the easier way to go.

Don't know what would happen if you tried doing a repair of XP. Bootup with the XP cd inserted & see if you can get a repair to work.

or try

Last Know Good Configuration:
    How to start your computer by using the Last Known Good Configuration feature
    To start your computer by using the Last Known Good Configuration feature, follow these steps:
    1. Start your computer.
    2. When you see the "Please select the operating system to start" message, press the F8 key.
    3. When the Windows Advanced Options menu appears, use the ARROW keys to select Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked), and then press ENTER.
    4. If you are running other operating systems on your computer, use the ARROW keys to select Microsoft Windows XP, and then press ENTER.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds