Windows take 1+ hour to load and CPU@100%

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dustfire, May 26, 2008.

1. dustfire

dustfire Private E-2

Hi there,

I had a thread for this over in malware b/c i thought that was the problem but it clearly isn't a virus or malware issue.

Here's a quick recap:
    My laptop was working perfectly fine a few days ago. I turned it on and windows takes 1+ hour to load. When it's finally up all i can open is msconfig using command prompt and task manager using alt-ctrl-del. In task manager it says my cpu usage is at 100%. The system idle is at 0 and taskmgr.exe is at a constantly changing number between 60-99%. The other things on the list have random percents popping up as well between 0 and 20%. When highlighting an image name, the blue bar constantly is flashing.

When i ran scandisk it came up with 10000 bad sectors..so we thought it was a hard drive problem. I installed a new one and partitioned it. After that on the windows xp clean install it took 24 or so hours to install...when that was done CPU was still @100% and system idle at 0% and took 30+ minutes to start windows.

Ran memtest as suggested and it came out fine after running for an hour or so with 4000% clean (no errors)

Thus I come to you humbled by this problem...I appreciate your time and efforts.

-Mitch

2. shockt327

shockt327 Private First Class

This may sound incredibly stupid, but it could be overheating. Make sure the fans aren't blocked, clean the fans, then prop up the laptop with a stand so that it isn't lying flush against a table.

I'm no expert, but I had a similar problem with the CPU Usage @ 100%. After going through a million things I stumbled on to the solution by simply noticing that I was only having a problem when my notebook was placed on a table - as opposed to resting on my leg where it could vent better.

3. dustfire

dustfire Private E-2

unfortunately it's not that simple... Tried to clean out the fan area and i usually run it on my lap anyway...so no dice...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds