Windows task manager: too many processes?

Discussion in 'Software' started by generalzod, May 22, 2006.

1. generalzod

generalzod Private E-2

Hi! When i check windows task manager there are ,on average, 50 processes running. My bro says there should only be around 20 or so. How can i tell what is needed and what isn't?

Also, If i suspect my computer has spyware and i run a scan and it shows nothing, can there still be malware on my computer? If yes, what's the next step, an anti virus upgrade? (I use F-secure anti virus).

Many thanks.

2. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus MajorGeek

I've got over 40 running & I have a clean system. (hopefully) :D :D

Yours is probably not too bad. :)

3. Orbital57

Orbital57 Private First Class

I would go through the anti-virus and anti spy/malware guide on this site and if you come up clean then don't worry about it. Your brother's 20 processes is very few.

It really depends on the Operating system and the programmes you have installed. I'm running a clean system using Win XP Media Centre and I'm running 60+ processes on boot up (about 10 of them are auto-update programs).

You may even find that F-Secure is 4-5 of those processes.

4. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

This app is a good start it will list the processess the company name and allow different levels of analysis, it also has a right click google option for those your uncertain off and want to understand more about:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4566

Here are a couple of links also for out what a process is and whether necassary and if not in many cases how to disable/remove were necassary:

http://www.processlibrary.com/

http://www.answersthatwork.com/

It may take a bit of time but personally I think it is an important learning process (lol) for understanding your comp.

5. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

The number of processes running depends on the operating system and what you are doing at the time. When I bootup, ready to go straight onto the net and MG, using XP pro Sp2, I have over 50 processes running. When I finish my session on the net, I run SmartClose and the number of processes drops to around 20. My PC is a laptop with plenty of Toshiba and ATi functions loaded on bootup. They do not appear to be mandatory, as when I run SmartClose, the laptop continues to operate as usual, as far as I can determine. SmartClose initially close all 'non-essential" processes, by default, and you have to massage it slightly, if you want a process to continue running. A bit like how Zone Alarm operates, when you first install ZA.

SmartClose http://www.snapfiles.com/get/smartclose.html

Thanks to COMPUABLE, MG thread 90781.

6. Clark_Kent

Clark_Kent MajorGeek

Me i am running at 24 processes but i have a mean PC you have XP right ???

when you install xp your start at 18 if you have 50 for this is way to high
    you want to clean a little the less process less chance your pc will crash.....

Hope this help...

7. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

As far as Spyware/AV/Adware goes you should really follow the sticky at this site. It may take time but I do it every 3 months just to be certain and the guys in that forum are absolute LEGENDS:

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35407

This will get rid of anything imho.

8. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

You bloody champ I have been looking for something like this for months I have been considering using some hotkeys and creating a "macro" but realise this will take a lot of work and probably wont work effectively. Basically I wanted something to close all my security apps when offline and I wanted to play a game so to free up mem:D :D :D. Cheers Bazza owe you a beer.

9. bigbazza

You're welcome.:D Long as it is not a XXXX. :p

Just out of curiousity and for the benefit of others, how many processes before and after running SmartClose? It might convince a few others to try SmartClose. Bazza

(thanks to COMPUABLE, again, for one of the most useful programs, ever.) Baz

===

10. COMPUABLE

COMPUABLE First Sergeant

>> (thanks to COMPUABLE, again, for one of the most useful programs, ever.) Baz <<

Oh anytime, Bazza! Glad it worked out for the both of you and Bold Eagle. ;)

The developer at BM-productions originally created SmartClose in March 2005 and I've used it since then with ZERO problems – very rare for this kind of utility. This is a huge improvement over the only other utility of this type 'End-It-All' [at least that I'm aware of] and unlike 'End-It-All' - SmartClose is actually much easier and safer to use and it's freeware as well!

The "System Snapshot" feature is a particularly useful addition and very useful when you are first giving the utility a try. SmartClose closes all currently running programs, and saves the current state of the system, such as all running programs, to a system snapshot. This snapshot can be safely restored again later by SmartClose, so all the closed programs will be restarted. Hint: When you're first trying out this utility DO NOT disable the "System Snapshot" feature. It only takes like 5-10 seconds and can save you a world of trouble if something goes wrong!

Although the utility currently comes with no "help file" the SmartClose FAQ will answer most questions anyone who tries it out may have. I definitely recommend this SmartClose utility to anyone who is having problems related to having too many programs and/or services running on their computer.

Good Luck!

11. bigbazza

The SmartClose FAQ's confirmed my suspicions that the program has been deliberately designed NOT to close certain FIREWALL and ANTI-VIRUS programs, and that they should be closed manually. As COMPUABLE suggests, read the FAQ's. Bazza

12. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Well I went to about 35 > 22, just in my intial trial run will have to read the FAQ and do this again as it was a bit confusing for this first run.

Now have Process Explorer and Smart Close via yourself and Compuable and I love em any other suggestions!?!

13. taz55

taz55 Private First Class

i have 26 running.

14. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

Yes, it can still have spyware on it.

I suggest you pay a visit to the MalWare Forum, and pay particular attention to the stickies.

And welcome to MajorGeeks, if you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask. :)

(Regarding the processes, it depends on what you have installed, what the operating system is, and how you use the PC. If unsure, post back with the list, or a screenshot and someone can check them for you)

15. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I have 44. Of course, I'm running a dual core CPU and 2gb of ram...so it doesn't affect me.

16. Orbital57

Orbital57 Private First Class

OK, so it's just me that has to many!

Oh well, doesn't worry me, I'm running an Athlon 3700+ with 2gb RAM too.

I'll worry when I can't run FEAR (or whatever I'm playing at the time) smoothly on close to max settings.

Suppose I'll spend some time cleaning up my processes soon, get rid of the pointless programmes my Mobo came with that I don't use etc.

17. bigbazza

Not meaning to hijack this thread, but you did ask. ;) :D

Icon and Shortcut substitute.

Best and most useful program I have ever come across. Even better than the 2 you listed.

SlickRun www.bayden.com/dl/sr-upgrade.exe

and do away with most of your icons and shortcuts altogether.

I have 100+ magicWords instead of icons / shortcuts.

Not available through MG, despite my pleading.

Dunno how you can put up with Windows once you have got used to having this program. Works with W98SE and XP, that I have tried. Bazza

===

18. bigbazza

I've got a dual core CPU and 1 gig of Ram, laptop, but still like to reduce the number of "apparently not required" processes. Just me, I guess. Bazza

===

19. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Thanks BAZZA after the last two will definately have a look and play, cheers:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

20. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Well, I'm one who likes the programs that startup, and run in the background. They cause no performance hit, so *shrug*.

If I have 1.7gb or 1.9gb free and don't notice the difference, I may as well have the added functionaility :)

21. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

And with QuickTime, you don't have any choice. :D

22. bigbazza

Adrynalyne, I appreciate your answer, but I can't seem to notice what these added processes actually DO, as my laptop appears to work just as well without them. :confused:

I'm confused about these processes (on my laptop) that do not appear to do anything. I guess more research is needed by me. Bazza

===

23. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Bazza, you may want to investigate the disable unneccessary services thread, and I'm sure you know where to look for startup items.

Heh, personally, I'm thinking of creating a logon script that will even kill explorer.exe. I've had my system running on a bare minimum of processes, and I tell you, my 3.5GHz system with 1GB RAM SCREAMED for me...

24. bigbazza

Thanks Mada_Milty. :cool:
    SmartClose does that automatically, by default, reducing the number of processes to the minimum., IT considers necessary. Beware, slight gotcha there.
    You may need to tweak it slightly, but that is why we are MG members aren't we. :D

You can build up a list of programs for it to ignore (not shut down).
    Gets my processes down to 20 in XP Pro, after I manually close ZA and Avast (only after I have closed my Internet session, of course).
    Don't think I can get much fewer that that. Bazza

===

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds