Windows task manager

Discussion in 'Software' started by pengwah, Jan 3, 2013.

1. pengwah

pengwah Private E-2

I have try all the column check but I could not see user name in the 'processes' tab even 'users' tab there is no name. Please someone help me out. My OS. XP Pro SP3. Thanks.

2. _nullptr

_nullptr Major Geeky Geek Geek

We'll see if resetting task manger will fix your problems. Close any instance of Task Manager you may have open and create a System Restore point before proceeding.

Run Notepad and copy/paste the content of the following code box:
    Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\TaskManager]
    "Preferences"=-

Go to 'File' > 'Save As...' and select
    • Save as type: All Files (*.*)
    • FileName: Taskmgr_reset.reg
    Save it to your desktop. Double click on Taskmgr_reset.reg and allow it to merge with the registry.
    If you don't receive a success message, let me know.
    Open Task Manager and see if you still have the problems. :)

3. pengwah

pengwah Private E-2

Thanks for your reply tried it but remain no change. Any further help will be much appreciate from you all.

4. theefool

theefool Geekified

Does your task manager look like the 1st image? If so, move the mouse cursor so it shows like image two. Click and drag to right like image 3. This should work for xp, vista, and 7 I believe.

Attached Files:

5. pengwah

pengwah Private E-2

It does not look the same of all the 3 images. I try to attach the image here and please have a look.

Attached Files:

6. theefool

theefool Geekified

Show what you have for task manager.

7. theefool

theefool Geekified

I'll have to re-install vmware workstation and load xp to test this out for you. But, that will take some time. Hope someone on xp now can look into this situation for you. I'm sure it is a simple fix.

8. pengwah

pengwah Private E-2

Sorry wrong image here the correct one.

Attached Files:

9. _nullptr

Go to the Run box (Windows key + R) and enter: services.msc then press OK.
    Locate Terminal Services and check that it's set to Automatic startup and that the service is started.
    If not, right click and select properties, then change its Startup Type to Automatic, press Apply > OK and then start the service.

Attached Files:

10. pengwah

pengwah Private E-2

Thanks I got error. "services. could not start the terminal services on local computer. error :2 the system cannot find the file specified." Help please.

11. _nullptr

Download SystemLook to your desktop.
    Double click to run it and copy/paste the content of the following code box into its main window:
    Code:
    :reg
    HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\TermService /sub

:filefind
    *termsrv.dll

Press the Look button. When its finished a log file will be saved to the same location that SystemLook was run from. (desktop)
    Zip the log and attach to your next post.

12. pengwah

pengwah Private E-2

Thanks _nullptr here is the scan result.

Attached Files:

13. _nullptr

C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386\termsrv.dll needs to be copied to the System32 directory. So either copy the file manually or open the command prompt (Start > Run > cmd) and enter the following:
    Code:
    copy /v c:\windows\servicepackfiles\i386\termsrv.dll  c:\windows\system32

Hopefully you should receive confirmation that 1 file was successfully copied.

Now you need to create another registry fix. Open notepad and copy/paste the following:
    Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\TermService]
    "Start"=dword:00000002

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\TermService\Parameters]
    "ServiceDll"=hex(2):25,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,52,00,6f,00,6f,\
      00,74,00,25,00,5c,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,32,00,5c,00,\
      74,00,65,00,72,00,6d,00,73,00,72,00,76,00,2e,00,64,00,6c,00,6c,00,00,00

Save it as TermservFix.reg then double click and merge with the registry.

If you get no errors in doing the above, then reboot the computer and see if Terminal Services is now running. :)

14. pengwah

pengwah Private E-2

Thanks for your quick respond _nullptr. Just done what you mentioned. Indeed it comes back to normal as before. I am much appreciate the help you have render. I am puzzle how this thing happen.

15. _nullptr

Your welcome pengwah. I've no idea what would have initially caused the problem.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds