Windows - Uninstalled MSN Mssgr

Discussion in 'Software' started by cwronay, Jul 7, 2007.

1. cwronay

cwronay Private E-2

About a month ago I uninstalled MSN Messenger (original version that comes w/Microsoft), or so I thought I did. The program seemed to never go away but somehow took Freecell, Solitaire, etc. instead. I'm running Windows XP and have done as much research as I know how and have come up with zilch!

Please help!

Also, I tried doing a System Restore (about 5 times) and it wouldn't let me. One more thing, I installed WindowsLiveOneCare less than a month ago and when I click on the icon, it shuts down before it opens. And another, the computer won't allow me to access Windows Update page without closing.

Attached is HiJackThis if it helps.

Edit: inline hijackthis log removed

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2007
  2. SkunkWorks

SkunkWorks Private E-2

go to your control panel, open add and remove programs, on the left side you should see add/remove windows components open that and put the check mark back into block for the missing program - games. this is where you remove windows programs that is installed with the CD not uninstall them.

3. cwronay

cwronay Private E-2

Thanks a bunch!

About the System Restore.. I am still unable to do this from the System Checkpoint dates listed. There isn't a specific error message however it states this when I login to Windows:

Restoration Incomplete
    Date April 21, 2007
    System Checkpoint
    No changes have been made to your computer.

I've checked and double-checked everything Microsoft tells me to do (i.e. safe mode, administrator, etc.).

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
    C

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi If you suspect malware as the cause of this issue then you will need to follow our procedures for this READ & RUN ME FIRST. Malware Removal Guide and start a new thread in malware area of the forum.

Did you manage to get the games back with the suggestion from Skunkworks?

5. cwronay

cwronay Private E-2

Yeppers! Thank you for following up with that.

To be honest, I don't know if it's malware or not. Do you think it is?

Cheers,
    C

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds