Windows Update 0x80070057 Error

Discussion in 'Software' started by Stephen_c16, Aug 4, 2016.

1. Stephen_c16

Stephen_c16 Master Sergeant

Thought I would update my windows 10 pro to the anniversary update.
    Manually started the update by clicking on learn more in updates.
    Process started. Computer was checked by update software and the started download.
    Download completed and the started running...
    Up came an error box stopping the update due to a 0x80070057 error.

Any directions as to how can get around this?
    Many thanks,
    s.

2. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

3. Stephen_c16

Thank you MT,
    I had a look through your link and came across;
    _______________________________________________________________________________
    The only way to successfully install the Windows 10 Anniversary Update on computers hit with these errors is to turn to the Media Creation Tool and build installation media that can then be used to clean-install the operating system and start from scratch.

The Media Creation Tool guides users throughout the entire installation process, and detailed information is displayed on the screen before each step, so beginners should have no problem when installing the Anniversary Update using this method.
    _______________________________________________________________________________

Is that suggestion a complete re-installation of Windows 10 pro from the Media Creation Tool?
    I would much prefer to update the system and leave my existing programs installed.
    I shall wait and see if there are any other solutions.
    s.

Would I need my serial number or has it been incorporated into my system?

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Had this in a few versions of Windows, many the test versions but can happen in retail. If Max's fix doesnt work try the below:

Open notepad and paste in the below and click Save As then click File Type and choose All File Types and name it something like WUFix.reg

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsUpdate\UX] "IsConvergedUpdateStackEnabled"=dword:00000000
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsUpdate\UX\Settings] "UxOption"=dword:00000000​

do backup your registry first http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/tweaking_com_registry_backup.html good free option to do this, do not double click to merge the registry possibel fix yet, do the below first

Then open Group Policy and navigate to here > Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update > Configure Automatic Updates > set as Not configured

Then double click to merge the possible fix with your current registry. You may likely see some warning messages but click yes to merge, then reboot your PC (dont need to be good option) and then check for updates again and see if they install ok.

5. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

After reading your error issue, I decided to go to Windows Update > Check for Updates and it came up with the new anniversary update. Luckily it downloaded and installed, restarted, and all seems ok. To be on the safe side I had already created a restore point, but interestingly that disappeared after the update. I also ended up with a 21gb windows.old folder. I created another restore point, then made changes to remove the apps it reinstalled with the new update, and ran O&O Shut Up again (creating a restore point again) and used its 'reverse changes' that the anniversary update had done.

An option for you is to just wait a few days, and try again via windows updates to see if it works correctly. I don't see much in the anniversary update that anyone would be desperate to get quickly.

NB: Getting rid of the 21gb windows.old requires changing permissions via command prompt admin which is a pain.

DavidGP likes this.
  6. DavidGP

Max reading your post I tried to get the update straight away and it showed with the updatefile download, clicking the app, it said I had Windows 10 Anivers installed which I knew I did not so could be a case of update servers a bit over stretched as later same night it downloaded and installed ok, two other PCs I did yesterday installed OK.

7. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Yes having read elsewhere, as they are pushing the Anniversary update to 350 million Win 10 users it's going to be a drawn out process to happen successfully.

DavidGP likes this.
  8. Stephen_c16

Thank you both for the suggestions.
    I think I shall wait a week or so and try again. Might even then work properly.
    Would I need to delete the files that have already been downloaded along with the Windows 10 Upgrade icon on my desktop?
    Best wishes,
    s.

9. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

No you shouldn't need to. They will be overwritten most probably by a fresh upgrade. But if you run Disk Clean up > Clean up SYSTEM files, it will probably wipe them.

DavidGP likes this.
  10. DavidGP

No as Max said it will overwrite the previous files as they would download to same location.

11. Stephen_c16

So I store most of my files away from the SSD c: drive and I found these 2 files in a folder on a secondary drive titled Windows10Upgrade. Should I delete these?
    s. 1.jpg

12. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

One of my laptops got the Anniversary issue via normal Windows Update channel. The other one didn't (both 10 Pro).

I downloaded the Anniversary Media Creation tool from the Major Geeks' link, put the ISO on my Win 10 desktop and ran Setup from there. It kept all of my files and settings and I've got version 1607 build 14393.10 on both machines now.

I also run the Enterprise version of Win 10. I've tried for a couple of days to update that version but, no dice yet.

13. Stephen_c16

Thank you mdonah
    I have now restored my SSD drive to 29th July and I think I will wait...
    Of course I might get impatient and and seek the MG link you mentioned.
    Kind regards,
    s.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds