Windows Update Causing High Cpu Usage

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GeoffB, Oct 14, 2016.

1. GeoffB

GeoffB Private E-2

Hi Folks,
    I'm running Windows Vista Home premium with SP2 on my Toshiba Satellite 350 series and although I've only my desktop running, the CPU is hovering between 50-55%.
    When I go to task manager, show processes from all users I can see that one of the scvhost.exe files is causing the CPU to run at 50%. I highlight and left click and "Go to services" there I see 12 highlighted files.
    If I just stop Windows Update from running, my CPU usage falls to 2-3%. The other files don't reduce CPU usage.
    I've tried running your "Tweeking.com for Windows, but no joy.
    Does anyone have any ideas why this is happening, please?

Regards
    Geoff.

2. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

When CPU is running at that level are you having any actual problems surfing, emailing or doing anything else?
    With Vista you can choose to turn Windows Update off, then just run it once a month (second Tuesday of every month is when WU are applied) to get updates.
    You might want to look at Black Viper's reputable website and his recommendations for Services in a 'safe' configuration:
    http://www.blackviper.com/service-c...-vista-service-pack-2-service-configurations/

3. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

For the 'recent' Windows Updates problems in Vista (or W7), try the method here, things change monthly (thanks MS), so you might need to use the 'latest' KB/method next month as well: http://wu.krelay.de/en/

Read and follow it carefully, I haven't had to use this method on Vista (yet), it wasn't around, that I'm aware of, when I was last faced with this issue, December last. That PC's been upgraded to W7 since.

4. GeoffB

GeoffB Private E-2

Hi Folks,
    Many thanks for all your comments and advice. Unfortunately the volume of information is too much for my little brain to absorb, however I've downloaded some of the updates and although my Windows History file now shows a large number of new updates, none seem to have effected my CPU usage.
    I've therefore decided to take Max's advice and just keep Windows Update off until required. The only real issue I have with CPU usage is when I play on-line pool and the CPU is running between 90-100% and after an hour or so the CPU temp. rises that much that the computer shuts down.
    Best regards
    Geoff.

5. satrow

6. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

As long as when it is on, Windows Updates is working fine and your 'update history' shows all updates installed, then you should be fine. But when you do check for updates, you do need to leave it a good amount of time to download and install them fully.
    Leaving it overnight is a good idea, and it will normally request or carry out a restart.

7. satrow

If the CPU is being hogged for an hour or more by WU, I'd say that WU isn't working fine.

8. GeoffB

GeoffB Private E-2

Hi Folks,
    I tried downloading the two manual updates kindly sent by Satrow (32 bit version) but the computer said they were both unsuitable. Also reading the Microsoft community website it recommends I stay way from WU for the foreseeable future as "Wonky things are happening in Windows Update" in there words and keep my eye on developments.
    I've therefore disables all future update and stopped the service.
    Regards
    Geoff.

9. satrow

There have been wonky things happening with WU since W10 was released.

Ah, I just noticed that Dalai has changed the wording on the Vista section to:
    "Since there is neither a Servicing Stack Update nor a Rollup for Windows Vista, the differences between Win7 and Vista are going to increase, starting in October 2016. So I can't make any more recommendations for this OS. Vista users may try the following updates:"

10. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Your system is VISTA, so any downloads should be clearly marked for Windows VISTA.
    Current problems with WU mainly affect Windows 7, and to a lesser extent with Windows 10.
    On the Vista desktop that I help maintain I haven't seen any recent problems with the monthly updates.
    You really need to look where I suggested earlier > Windows Update > Update History - that is where you will see what has been installed.
    You can run another 'check for updates' to be sure nothing is missing.

11. satrow

Dalai's links are mainly for W7/8.1 but also 2 are for for Vista. Since August of last year I have seen an increasing number of issues reported with Vista, W7 and W8.1 (and from November to date witnessed them personally with W7 and Vista), I'm recently seeing WU issues reported with various flavours of W10 as well (but Almost certainly for different reasons than the older OS').

12. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

What you see is "normal" update behavior with MS updating. Some computers have a problem, others don't. You are lucky it is only 50% because at least you can still do a few things on the computer. Granted it will seem sluggish.
    I have four Windows 7 computers in the house. For some unknown reason, my desktop computer ran at 100% CPU (90+% of this was svchost) for quite a few months when trying to get Windows updates. I had two choices: kill the update process and use the computer or let it churn away and work on another computer.

13. satrow

Plodr, a bugged WU usually hogs a single core, on my quad w/ HT (8 cores), I see 12%, on a quad it's 25%, a dual core is 50%. So you have a single core CPU?

14. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds