windows update not working...

Discussion in 'Software' started by srmjdm, Oct 10, 2006.

1. srmjdm

srmjdm Private E-2

I am running a Dell 2350 with Windows XP. I recently had a lot of malware problems on this computer which Chaslang helped me work thru. I then started down thru the "How to protect yourself from Malware" thread. First thing visit windows update. I did and had a few noncritical downloads that needed to be done so I downloaded them and then hit the install button. Everything seemed to be working fine until the end , when it popped up with the message ... "such and such program" failed to install.. try running windows update again or working thru the "troubleshooter" fix. Well I tried both, rerunning windows update came up with the same error failed to install. Next tried the troubleshooter. Got down to the step to verify the following registry entries are present
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Notify\SensLogn
    needless to say I dont have that registry entry in my registry.. I do have
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Notify\Wgalogon

Anyone help??
    Thanks!
    Renee

2. toehead410

toehead410 Corporal

You get free support from Microsoft when the issue concerns MS Updates. Go to the update page and then click the link on the left that says 'Get help and support.' I had this kind of problem about a year ago. MS helped me through it quickly and effectively.

3. chaslang

chaslang MajorGeeks Admin - Master Malware Expert Staff Member

If you still have problems with this key being missing, try the below!

Copy the bold text below to notepad. Save it as fixME.reg to your desktop. Be sure the "Save as" type is set to "all files" Once you have saved it double click it and allow it to merge with the registry.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds