Windows update strange errors/behavior

Discussion in 'Software' started by catalize, Nov 8, 2013.

1. catalize

catalize Private E-2

Okay I'll try to list as many details as possible, because I've been working on this for a while, and I'm at the end of my rope here.
    Windows updates error out. All the updates are related to Microsoft Office 2007 (security updates, MS Works updates, etc). The error it gives is 80070641, which points to Windows Installer Service according to multiple websites. Sure enough, Windows Installer Service is stopped, and set to manual, but this is where it gets weird.
    After setting the service to automatic and restarting the computer, the service was started. I tried to to updates again, go the same error, and then i checked the service, and it was stopped and set to manual again.

What has been done:
    A variety of virus/malware cleanup tools that are part of the cleanup process at the repair shop i work at (combofix, malwarebytes, antivirus, etc).
    sfc
    Windows Tweaker (which includes an msi repair and an windows update reset)
    I deleted all pending xml files in winsxs
    Multiple "fixit"s

System is Vista HP SP2 32-bit

2. COMPUABLE

COMPUABLE First Sergeant

>> Windows updates error out. catalize <<

My first guess would be that for some reason; one or more of the updates were interrupted either when downloading or while originally being installed or something like that.

Have you tried a Windows System Restore back to a restore point BEFORE the "Windows update strange errors/behavior" first occurred?

Usually when you first start Windows Update, it automatically sets a new Restore Point before downloading and installing any updates.

This is done so that users are able go back and reverse the process, should something go wrong.

Good Luck! -- COMP

3. catalize

catalize Private E-2

Unfortunately, system restore is turned off. However, the issue happens when any or all of the updates are selected. The updates act like they're installing normally, but says they fail at the end.
    Thank you for the reply, though! I've still gotten nowhere with this.

4. COMPUABLE

COMPUABLE First Sergeant

>> Unfortunately, system restore is turned off catalize <<.

Oh, that's too bad... I've occasionally actually had a similar problem in the past (mostly with Windows 7) wherein the Windows Update process take too long and then it would loop and loop and loop again seemingly endlessly. Or it would restart the computer and stay at freezing "Please Wait... Do Not Restart Your Computer" screen while I was waiting around for the update to complete. Usually, with a little patience the matter would slowly but surely resolve itself, or as I mentioned before; initiating a System Restore to an earlier point would work it out.

May I ask you a somewhat-related question and that is: Why do some users disable System Restore? The reason I ask is because it has literally been a lifesaver dozens of times over for me, particularly when I was previously running Windows XP, with its frequent Blue Screens of Death, a fatal system error screen in Microsoft Windows and other occasional assorted snafus and error screens as well... BTW, Windows 7 and 8 are much better at avoiding those BSOD blue error screens, in my opinion.

Additionally, I know that in some cases users will believe that it can save some disk space to disable System Restore entirely. However, there are ways to get rid of all but the very last "reliable" and "usable" restore point; in order that the System Restore utility does not cause much of a hard drive space loss throughout the process. I'd be lost without System Restore. :confused

Good Luck! -- COMP​

5. catalize

catalize Private E-2

I will PM you to avoid taking this thread off topic. If anyone else has ideas, any and all are welcome!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds