Windows Update (Win 8 Pro) - Am I Missing Updates?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Michael1980, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Michael1980

Michael1980 Private First Class

hi guys

It seems that I am missing at least one important security update for Windows 8 pro. I checked with my friend and he said he had a security update that I didn't have. He has windows 8 too. I waited for a few days and my windows update still hasn't received it. Here's the last couple of updates i have received and installed successfully:

Security Update for Microsoft Silverlight (KB2690729)
    Microsoft Silverlight (KB2668562)
    Marvell - LAN - Marvell Yukon 88E8071 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller
    LSI - Network - LSI PCI-SV92PP Soft Modem
    Security Update for Windows 8 for x64-based Systems (KB2753842)

the first one for Microsoft Silverlight was installed the 28th of this month. and the last one the security update for windows 8 was installed the 20th of this month. i'm worried about all this cause i thought these windows updates were installed more timely than this especially since Windows 8 is still relatively new. Can someone offer any advice?

thanks in advice.

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Did he happen to mention what security update it is?

3. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

I would not worry about it. Most of those are just suggested updates, like Silverlight, the modem & the LAN card. Silverlight is coming up on EOL (End of Life), since they have been planning on abandoning it for the past couple of years.

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Some are republished ones too, because the previous versions were found to be problematic.

5. Michael1980

hey guys

i haven't talked to my friend in a few days but i will ask him soon what security update he was talking about. i do remember he said it was a security update for win 8 that was more recent than mine by a few days. do you guys have win 8 and if you do do you have a more recent security update than i do? like i said my latest security update for win 8 was on the 20th.

while we're on the topic of windows update are optional updates really worth it to download them? i mean they are listed as optional.

6. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Again, I would not worry about it. Some updates are rolled into others, or when the updater inspects the system for needed updates, it may find that one update may not apply, so it will not ask for it from the update server. Regardless if it is Windows, Linux, Mac Os.

7. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

If you are concerned to know that all required security updates have been installed, both to Windows and to your own installed software, then install something like Secunia PSI

8. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

9. plodr

10. Michael1980

thanks everyone for the replies. i used microsoft catalog updates and found a update for Windows8 that was posted a couple of days ago that i didn't have. it was "Update for Windows 8, Windows Server 2012 (KB2798897)" and the update was "AMD64_X86 all-rvkroots_4b146500cc3c0a3fedef1a3015642dd95bd2492c.exe" i opened and it didn't seem to do anything. i guess i didn't need that update. i will continue to keep my eye open for windows 8 updates on that microsoft page. also i downloaded secunia and it found two updates for two programs. I have a question tho for anyone that's reading. If i had a virus or malware could it stop a computer from receiving updates from windows updates? i did a scan in safe mode a few days ago with both Malware Bytes and Kaspersky Anti Virus both latest versions and they both found no viruses or malware.

11. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Personally I would not stress that much over this. If Windows update decides the update is needed, it will download it to your machine.

12. plodr

That is a legitimate update, released the beginning of January. It will remove the bogus certificates. In this case TurkTrust.
    You are correct in that it appears to do nothing but you are protected if you updated it.
    Vista and above updates in the background so eventually you would receive the update. On the other hand, you did no harm by installing before MS installed it to your computer.

I had to manually update the XP computers in the house. I did that a few days ago. I did not check to see if MS installed this on my Win 7 computer.

13. Michael1980

ok thanks guys again for the replies. appreciate it. if i find a update for windows 8 in that catalog that i think i need and didn't get i will wait a few days to see if i get it in windows update and if i don't i will report here. thanks again! :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds