Windows Updates Don't work.

Discussion in 'Software' started by Shizoku, Aug 24, 2004.

1. Shizoku

Shizoku Private E-2

I recently repaired windows on my computer and everything is running fine. But I
    don't think I even have SP1 anymore and I get an error installing the BITS file microsoft had been giving me:

Updates were unable to be installed correctly.

The following updates where not installed:
    Update for Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) 2.0 and WinHTTP 5.1 (KB842773)

I tried to install them from microsoft site, but it only gives me that one update above. I tried installing from a .exe file they had on microsoft. The install failed.

2. TheDoug

TheDoug MajorGeek

Go to Start -> Run. Type in services.msc, and click OK. Scroll down to Background Intelligent, and double-click on it. If its Start Up Type shows Disabled, change it to Manual or Automatic. Then try Windows Update again.

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

To check if you have SP1 ... Start > Run > and type winver > enter it will tell you within the box which version you have... you will need SP1 to get SP2

SP1a either Express or Network install versions ( express uses a small installer file and then hooks upto WU, whereas the Network install is the full package )
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp1/default.mspx

as Doug said to use windows update 5 you will need the BITS service set to Auto.

4. Shizoku

Shizoku Private E-2

thank you. I got SP1 installed no problem through your link. I still can't install the BITS.

5. DavidGP

6. Shizoku

Shizoku Private E-2

Uh, The link doesn't seem to work. Anyway I tried downloading the BITS from my automatics from a download on the microsoft site and it wouldnt install still.

7. DavidGP

8. Shizoku

Shizoku Private E-2

thank you it worked. I have SP2 up and running so far. Thanks a lot for your help.

9. DavidGP

no probs... :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds