Windows updates every night?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Captain Drift, May 7, 2009.

1. Captain Drift

Captain Drift Corporal

Hello,
    I have been checked and am clean from spyware Here

but every night when i shut down the system i am prompted to install 3 updates. I have checked and the only update to install is IE8 and the .net framework 3.5 service pack 1 and family.

How can i stop the updates?

2. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

What version of windows are you running?

3. oma

oma MajorGeek

IE 8 will not automatically install. Here's a link from Microsoft what you can do from preventing to install it. http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2009/04/10/prepare-for-automatic-update-distribution-of-ie8.aspx Just "don't install". After that it will just show up in Windows Update as an optional update.

Another method is to download/use the IE 8 Blocker Toolkit. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...28-5806-4ba6-9e4e-8e224ec6dd8c&displaylang=en Read this MG link in how to use that toolkit. http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=188537&page=2

I really don't know if you would need .NET Framework 3.5. It depends on what programs you use. If you don't want it, just hide it in the Windows Update.

4. oma

oma MajorGeek

5. Captain Drift

Captain Drift Corporal

Hi sorry, Running Windows XP SP3, with MS office 2003
    I have all updates except the Windows Search and the ones mentioned previously
    I do not know which updates the system is trying to install. There are always 3 updates.

I do not get the yellow sheild in the taskbar either?
    If i choose not to install and shutdown normally they appear next time i shutdown.
    This is not major but highly annoying.

6. oma

oma MajorGeek

Did you go to Windows Update site and let it scan for critical updates?

When the items come up, untick (deselect), right click the item and click on "hide. Do so for every item. Reboot and try to see if that works.

PS: I've got no idea why you're not getting the yellow updates icon from Microsoft. Check the settings on your machine in Windows Update.

7. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Another idea you can use and at times the updater can get a bad entry in the logs and cause it to repeat updates it to when the three updates list take down the KB number (ie .Net 3.5 Familiy Update is KB959209) then enter into search engine and download the full installer and install them (as OMA mentions no need for IE8 if you dont want it, so hide it, as you can always unhide if you decide to install it).

Then goto Microsoft Update and run a Custom Scan, to see whats missing or if all installed ok, they will have installed ok if they now dont showup, then check Windows Update in the OS and see what lists, if they dont list now, WU is fixed from the possible corrupted log.

Or here are links, had them to hand

Full .Net 3.5 SP1

Family update for .Net

IE8 is a personal choice, some like and some dont, not going to get into a tizzy over who does or doesnt and why as not the topic, so download is here if you want it and you also have the options OMA gave above, in blocking.

As to why, possible any malware you had may have caused this, or even applications that didnt uninstall fully or can just happen with a corrupted WU download, say your internet cuts out half way through a download, it will resume, but can be corrupted in rare occasions.

8. Captain Drift

Captain Drift Corporal

Halo,
    Can i see the WU log on the PC? if so would it be possible to edit it?

9. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

You see the log of what installed by going to the Windows Update site and selecting log in the left column. It will show the date and number of update and whether it was successful or failed.

10. abz1nthe

abz1nthe Command Sergeant Major

the framework updates tend to take a while to install. I would just manually install it if you need it opposed to getting it through automatic updates.

11. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

NO sadly, you could but it wouldnt work, needs the app to instal properly, so as mentioned try it manually with full installer.

12. Captain Drift

Captain Drift Corporal

trying the full instalation now

13. Captain Drift

Captain Drift Corporal

I have tried to install the updates but get the following message
    "None of the products that are addressed by this software update are installed on this computer. Click Cancel to exit setup."
    The Full .ner 3.5SP1 has an error and fails to install.
    From my WU log
    Update for Microsoft Silverlight (KB960353) Failed
    Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update (KB951847) x86 Failed
    Security Update for the 2007 Microsoft Office System (KB951944) Failed
    Security Update for the 2007 Microsoft Office System (KB954326) Failed
    I dont even have Office 2007 installed ?

14. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

To stop those updates from appearing, go to the windows update site, look where the updates for .NET 3.5 and SP1 are listed, click for more information and you will have a button to select, do not show these updates again. You will get some sort of dire warning about needing them but it they keep appearing and you can't install them, then the next best thing is to stop the notice of new updates for them appearing.

As far as Office updates appearing, Office updates do not appear on the windows update site, they appear on the Microsoft update site. Go into MS update and see what sort of settings you have there.

15. Captain Drift

Captain Drift Corporal

Thank you plodr,
    Will check, I have hiden and ticke, do not inform me of updates, eith all the one i dont want, its imporved,but there are still some updates.
    The silverlight update is resolved.
    I removed silverlight!

16. Captain Drift

Captain Drift Corporal

I have now found the msi packages needed for the update were missing,
    Ran revo uninstaller and re-downloaded from fresh and working fine

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds