windows updates failing (0x80246008)

Discussion in 'Software' started by phattcat, Dec 19, 2006.

1. phattcat

phattcat Private E-2

hi there. i have a problem with windows updates. getting error code 0x80246008 when i try to use update.
    i also get an error when sorting BITS as i have read this needs to be correct.

"1. Click Start, click Run, type services.msc, and then click OK.
    2. Double-click Background Intelligent Transfer Service.
    3. In the Startup type box, click Manual, and then click Apply.
    4. Click the Log On tab, and then verify that the service is enabled in every hardware profile that is listed. If the service is disabled in one or more hardware profiles, click the hardware profile, click Enable, and then click Apply.
    5. Click the General tab, and then click Start."

When i click start i get the error message saying - services
    Quote:
    windows could not start the background intelligent transfer service on local computer. For more information, review the System Event Log. If this is a non microsoft service, contact the service vendor, and refer to service-specific error code - 2147024891.

any help will be greatfully recieved. Thanks

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

3. phattcat

phattcat Private E-2

i downloaded and ran the tool. it did its stuff but it has had no effect. updates are failing with the same error and i can't start BITS still and also get the same error message when that fails. any other thoughts? thanks

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Yes are you logged on as admin when your trying the updates and to start the BITS service?

Another last resort option is to deleted the Downloader folder in this location C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\downloader ( but backup the downloader folder first as its not guarenteed to work in all instances )

Your not having any Malware issues at present are you, I noticed you had some cleaned up earlier in the month but your not experiencing any now?

5. phattcat

phattcat Private E-2

thanx mate. deleting that folder seems to have worked. it downloaded a whole heap of updates and although my pc has restarted a couple of times trying to install them all, it is geting them all installed gradually. i dont think i have any malware (i hope) and yes i am an administrator.
    thanx again, i will post again if it suddenly screws up.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds