windows updates fails

Discussion in 'Software' started by tm711, Dec 29, 2014.

1. tm711

tm711 Corporal

For a month I keep getting messages that I need to install windows updates. Today I tried once again to install them. Used the troubleshooter, which said that it had repaired the problems. Tried a manual install and got this error code: 8007371B. The updates are KB2981685, KB2920189, and KB2928678. The last one seems to install very slowly. Lenovo laptop 64 bit, Win8, with Start menu (which works fine), MBAM and AVG Internet Security. Everything else seems to be working fine. Any suggestion?

2. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

Try turning off AVG during the updates. Some AV/AntiMalware programs interfere with Windows Updates.

3. tm711

tm711 Corporal

Reran troubleshooter, turned of virus scan (AVG).........still does not install. Firewall settings do not block installation as far as I can see. Manual installation does not work either. Anyone else ever have this problem?

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

HI

Had similar on a netbook of mine, now while you have tried some of this before do run again in the order below.

1. Run the Windows Update Troubleshooter again

2. Run a CMD prompt as Admin (WinKey + X then Command Prompt (Admin) and run the following commands, they should clean/rebuild WU

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth
    DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

3. Copy the below to a notepad file and click File > Save As and in the save As Type dropdown choose All Files and then name the file WUFix.reg (important to add the .reg) and click Save

Then Right Click and Run as Administrator the batch file and then reboot PC and try Windows Update again

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

What version of Windows are you running?

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Ignore my previous message. I read (this time with both eyes open :-o ) and saw you are running Windows 8.

7. tm711

tm711 Corporal

Ok I tries your recommendations: Here is what happened.

1) got hung up on Stopping Bits Service and ran and ran...........I stopped it
    2) failed to run I have attached the DISM log
    3) Would not merge, says I can only add binary files from the registry edit

I also shut off AVG while performing all the above.

Attached Files:

8. DavidGP

Hi

You are logged in on the admin account are you and not a general user account? just checking as you should have been able to merge that reg file.

Try this app HERE and run it as admin.

If that doesnt help then a manual fix of Windows Update is needed and I would backup your PC and important files as a general precaution http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

9. tm711

tm711 Corporal

That did not work, but thank you anyway. I appreciate the help. I did get a message (I forget where, think is was during the attempted repair that "Trusted installer.exe" could not be found. I dunno what that means. I have found during all this that making any changes inWin8 is twice as hard as using anything else.

10. mdonah

Trusted Installer.exe is what Windows uses to install updates. It's been this way since Vista. XP used Package Installer which was usually the first update you got before any others would be downloaded and installed. Strange that Trusted Installer cannot be found. :confused

11. tm711

tm711 Corporal

it is there.....I just found it..............I found a place called dlltool.com that says it can replace it. Is this place legit? anybody know?

12. mdonah

I don't trust sites like that. You never know what else may be downloaded along with what you want to download OR how much they'll charge. Can you get the file from Microsoft directly?

13. tm711

tm711 Corporal

I do not trust them either, think I will try microsoft.

14. tm711

tm711 Corporal

Just installed 8.1............took forever!................tomorrow I will try to update windows.....................

15. mdonah

In order for you to get Microsoft updates for Windows 8.1 now, there are mandated "KB" updates that need to be installed first. Otherwise, you won't get any other updates. The quickest way to determine if you have those mandated updates is to bring up the Start screen and look to see if there's a Search icon (magnifying glass) near your user name.

If the icon is not there, download and install KB 2919422 first and restart the computer then do the same with KB 2919355. You can also check the Update History to see if those updates are installed.

16. tm711

tm711 Corporal

There is a magnifying glass next to my name. I dot NOT install the two KB's so I guess I am ok................correct?

17. mdonah

Yes, you're good to go. ;)

The two updates must have been installed automatically by Windows Update which is good. Some people have had Automatic Updates turned off and have had to download and install those KBs manually.

18. tm711

tm711 Corporal

I turned off MBAM and AVG and told it to update and it did! 22 updates! It took and hour at least. Everything seems ok now. Thanks for the help!

19. DavidGP

Hi

Glad is all ok now, sadly at times a reinstall could be needed but one thing I would suggest to look into is in using a backup application to "image" your HDD, this basically is a exact copy of what's on your HDD, so in the event of System Restore not working and issues like you had with Windows Update you can recover your PC to last backed up "image" file. I keep a rolling scheduled backup twice a week.

Just saves a complete re-install.

Apps to use can be varied, I use Acronis True Image, but Comodo and Easeus and others have good free software capable of "imaging" a HDD

Some info HERE and list of backup apps HERE

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds