Windows Updates - Optional items

Discussion in 'Software' started by addifan, Mar 20, 2008.

1. addifan

addifan Private E-2

Sorry for asking a dumb question, but should I install my optional updates?

1)
    Atheros - Networking - Atheros L1 Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000Base-T

2)
    nVidia - Video - NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT

3)
    Samsung - Other Hardware - SyncMaster 226BW (Digital)

2. Jerkyking

Jerkyking Sergeant Major

Those updates look to be Drivers... not critical but may improve performace or inter-operabiltiy with various software.

3. sosaman

sosaman Sergeant Major

yes and no. i'd set a system restore point prior to installing in case of problems (it "might" set one itself). you didn't say what your os is/was (it shouldn't really matter).

i've had no problems with xp updates (2 desktops, and 1 laptop - mine), as well as other family members (3-4 desktops).

however, when i had my vista comp (acer brand), i had to do a "destructive" system recovery, as i had previously deleted all my restoration points. i happened to do a windows update that had to do with my video card, and it was all down hill from there (although i didn't know it at the time). it might have been ok, had i had a restoration point to go back to (prior to my doing the update), but i didn't notice any problems till like 1-2 or maybe 3 weeks later on (i had already deleted them by then). anyway, i'm sure it's ok, just don't do what i did. g/l, sos

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Which OS you using?

If Vista then dont do the Samsung one as I did and any part of the screen that was white turned yellow! so stick with the default installed driver.

As for the other two, yes on the Network one as they dont seem to cause issues, but a big NO on the Nvidia one as many have no end of trouble with GFX drivers from WU, stick to the makers own unified drivers off their sites downloads section of you going to update or from us here http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloads35.html

To stop them displaying in future make them hidden, click to expand its description and choose Hide this update ( can always bring them back with View hidden updates )

5. addifan

addifan Private E-2

The drivers listed are on a Vista machine, thanks for the warnings on which ones to avoid.

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I never let Microsoft handle driver updates. Go to your PC manufacturers site for those.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds