Windows Updates to hide to prevent Windows 10 Upgrade / Disable Telemetry

Discussion in 'Software' started by Spartan, Aug 23, 2015.

1. Spartan

Spartan Private First Class

I have been noticing lately a lot of people keep asking the same question on how to prevent the Windows 10 upgrade so here is a list of updates that need to be hidden in order to prevent the Windows 10 Upgrade or prevent updates that enable Telemetry, some of them are system preparation for the upgrade so you may not find them all in your updates list until a pre-requistie update was installed before.

If doing a clean installation of Windows 7 or 8, you need to scan the list of updates carefully everytime updates appear to ensure none of them re-appears as Micro$h4ft has been showing some of them again even if you hide them.

If you have already installed Windows and did a few updates, then head over to Control Panel > Programs and Features > View Installed Updates then go from the top to the bottom through the list to ensure none of them is installed, if you do find one installed, then uninstall it, reboot, then check for updates and once it appears right click on it and hide it.

These Windows 10 upgrade activation updates are like a virus really, only thing is, it's a legit virus [​IMG]

KB2505438 (Although it claims to fix performance issues, it often breaks fonts)
    KB2670838 (The EVIL Update, breaks AERO on Windows 7 and makes some fonts on websites fuzzy, Windows 7 specific update only, do not install IE10 or 11 otherwise it will be bundled with them, IE9 is the max version you should install)
    KB2952664 (Windows 10 Upgrade preparation)
    KB2976978 (Windows 10 Upgrade preparation)
    KB2977759 (Windows 10 Upgrade preparation)
    KB2990214 (Windows 10 Upgrade preparation)
    KB3021917 (Windows 10 Upgrade preparati0on + Telemetry)
    KB3022345 (Telemetry)
    KB3035583 (Windows 10 upgrade preparation)
    KB3068708 (Telemetry)
    KB3075249 (Telemetry)
    KB3080149 (Telemetry)

2. oma

oma MajorGeek

Yes, I've kept a list of those updates for Win 10 and Telemetry and don't have them on my PC because I did hide them all multiple times (Win 10) and yet some came back over and over. Therefore I don't trust Microsoft anymore and don't have the automatic updates set anymore for at least 6 months.

Just checked them again against your list and all is fine here.

3. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

No need to go through the list of installed updates - there is a search field at the top. I rid my system of all traces of GWX by restoring an image that predated it. That reduced Win 8 by about 5GB, but if you aren't able to do that then Disk Cleanup > Cleanup System Files also does a pretty good job.

4. oma

oma MajorGeek

That's what I've been doing. ;)

5. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

The above two KB's may have been problematic during their early releases (267838 certainly was for me on two 2009 installs) but I suggest that with a reasonably fresh W7 install, there will be many fewer issues with them, possibly restricted to a few hardware-specific (very old/bugged graphics hardware etc.) problems only (suggesting that the hardware would fail any upgrade to W10 anyway).

Note that these updates might have changed since the first release, their details pages have been altered multiple times - 7 for KBKB2505438 and 15 for KB2670838!

For those who are sticking with W7 for the time being: as IE is part of the OS and some IE files are loaded with many 3rd party software, for security reasons alone you really should update to the highest IE version you can - currently IE 11, even if you never directly use it.

To suggest staying with IE 9 feels irresponsible to me. A fresh install of W7 SP1, upgrade to IE 11, update all Security patches - then block the W10 pre-requisites etc. would be a safer plan.

6. Earthling

Going through my wife's Win 7 checking the installed updates against your list, when I searched for KB3035583 I got the attached list for installed Win 10 updates even though I have not yet allowed Win 10 to install. I'm currently uninstalling them but it won't be easy to prevent them from reappearing.

Attached Files:

7. oma

oma MajorGeek

Last edited: Aug 23, 2015
  8. Earthling

If they don't want 10 they will have to do what I have just done and work through the installed updates, checking them against the list in this thread. Also, cancel the Win 10 reservation and, most difficult of all, hide any Win 10 related updates that appear. I fear that keeping Win 10 at bay is going to be quite a battle of attrition. Perhaps the most effective tactic would be to find a way of rendering your system non-10 compliant but atm I have no idea how to achieve that.

9. oma

oma MajorGeek

Below is a copy from another forum. No, no credit for me but to the person who posted it. For Win 7 and Win 8.1 who want to remove the KBs to uninstall Win 10 updates and Telemetry. Keep in mind that some of these updates will likely return. (don't beat me up if they're not right!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 23, 2015
  10. Earthling

Have to say that after reverting to 8.1 and cancelling my Win 10 reservation, and uninstalling all of the Win 10 updates listed in this thread, and running Disk Cleanup > Cleanup System Files, Win 8.1 on this modest Thinkpad E335 laptop is running like it has had a ton weight taken off its shoulders. And to help ensure that Win 10 does not sneak back in I have put Windows update on notify only. That's the good news, but the prospect of having to maintain this vigil to ensure 8.1 stays as 8.1 is a bit daunting. Microsoft is intent on ensuring that over time everyone gets moved to Win 10, and I guess that eventually they will succeed. At that point I suppose that I will just have to buy a supported laptop.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
  11. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Yes, I'm thinking what I want our next computer to be. I'm pretty sure it won't be Windows 10.

I use an Android tablet so for my husband to surf and send email, a chromebook might work for him. He'd continue to use his 2K, XP and Win 7 computers pulled off the internet to do his work.

I also know my way around a few linux distros so I might install linux on one of the netbooks when support for 7 ends in January 2020. That would work for my surfing and email needs, burning CDs and DVDs and playing videos.

I haven't used any Apple product since 1989 but if I could figure out linux and Android, I can figure out OSX or OSXI if that's what it will be called in 2020.
    I'd have to buy a printer if I needed to print anything from an Apple product. With 5 printers in the house, I really don't want to buy yet another printer.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds