Windows Updates turned off Cannot turn back on

Discussion in 'Software' started by sjbruce, Dec 10, 2010.

1. sjbruce

sjbruce Private E-2

Hi Hope I am posting in the right place as never done this before.

I had a virus Win.32.AutoRun.tmp picked up by spotbot which I hope has now gone as Spybot showing no infection, Malware and Superanti Spyware are all were coming up clean. Was having browser redirect issues which seem to be ok.

However, windows automatic updates is off - if I try and turn on in the security center it says We are sorry the security centre could not change your settings - go to control panel and the automatic updates tab. But there is no icon in the control panel and no tab for automatic updates in system properties. Tried going onthe microsoft site to download and receive error and cannot install active x to check.

Also cant do a system restore in safe mode as when I select a date and click next nothing happens.

Machine is running Windows XP MediaCenter Service Pack 3 and have AVG Free 2011.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I seem to be going round in circles.

2. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

Hello,
    Just because Spybot, Malware(bytes) ,and Superanti Spyware are all were coming up clean, it does not mean you are not still infected. It would be a good idea to post over in the Malware Removal Forum to make sure you are clean and then come back here if there is still a problem.

3. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

4. sjbruce

sjbruce Private E-2

Hi thanks pwillener I am unable to download direct from microsoft as having active x installation issues and have tried all different ways to get round it.

I have moved this post to the malware forum as suggested by tgell and just finished working through the procedure and posted logs so hopefully someone will help me from there.

Thanks.

5. sjbruce

sjbruce Private E-2

Hi malware forum trhead is now closed and they have confirmed my logs are clean.

Automatic updates still off in the security center and wont allow me to turn it on. If I try to it say The seucrity center could not change your Automatic Updates setting. To try changing these settings yourself, go to System in control panel. On the Automatic Updates tab select Automatic (recommeded) and then click ok.

But there is no automatic updates icon in the control panel. If I right click on My computer & select properties I get an error message.

rundll32.exe - unable to locate component
    This application has failed to start because Cabinet.dll was not found. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem

Can access system then but there is no automatic updates tab.

Tried going direct to microsoft updates website but says it is checking to see if computer had windows software to do updates. But then fails - do not get active x installation bar.

Hope you can help.

Thanks

Steph

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Open Control Panel, click on Administrative Tools, then Services.

Next go here: http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm
    and compare how each service listed by BlackViper is set on your computer.

If you right click a service and select properties, you will be able to change automatic/manual/disabled to whatever is shown at BV site as safe.

7. sjbruce

sjbruce Private E-2

Hi I have changed mine so that they are the same on on BlackViper.

Automatic Updates status says Starting - doesnt change to started.

8. tgell

Hello,
    You might want to try to reset the Windows Update Components.

Run with admin rights. First use default and then if that does not work, use aggressive.

9. sjbruce

sjbruce Private E-2

Hi tried both settings and got error message saying unable to fix the problem.

10. tgell

11. sjbruce

sjbruce Private E-2

Hi I have sorted it out.

Found a message on another forum about reinstalling cabinet.dll - have done this and automatic updates is now back!

Can also download from microsoft so hopefully all sorted. Just need to check out system restore.

Thanks for the help anyway.

:)

12. tgell

Hello,
    Glad you got it all sorted out. It was nice that you posted back the solution to your problem as it will definitely help other people with the same problem that might check out this board.

13. plodr

How did you reinstall cabinet.dll?

14. tgell

Maybe he downloaded cabinet.dll from a website and copied it to system32. I think he could have used the SFC /SCANNOW command also.

15. sjbruce

sjbruce Private E-2

16. plodr

Thanks. I have cabinet.dll in 4 locations on my XP Home computer. Three of them are the same size and the other is a bit smaller. I assume if one goes missing, I could copy the one from the dll cache to the system32 folder.

17. lecrawford

lecrawford Private E-2

I have the same problem. I get a message that says:

Automatic Updates is turned off. Your computer is more vulnerable to viruses and other security threats. Click Turn On Automatic Updated to have Windows automatically keep your computer current with important updates.

When I click on Turn On Automatic Updates I get this message:

We're sorry. The security center could not change your Automatic Updates settings. To try changing these settings yourself, go to System in Control Panel. On the Automatic Updates tab, select Automatic (recommended), and then click OK.

When I go to change these settings it already says that the Automatic Updates are on and is also already checked.

I've tried everything I know to do. Any help would help. thanks

18. plodr

lecrawford , welcome to MajorGeeks.
    You need to start your own thread not add your problem to someone elses.
    Start here: http://forums.majorgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21
    click the New Thread button near the top left and post your problem. Be sure you state what version of windows you are running.

Instead of saying
    State what you have done like: I tried a restore point, etc.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds