windows updates will not download and more lol

Discussion in 'Software' started by lancelot_69, Mar 17, 2008.

1. lancelot_69

lancelot_69 Private E-2

Please help! I am computer dummy, so please if you reply, keep in mind I am a computer idiot! For the last couple of weeks I keep getting windows update icons. I click on the icon, it just disappears! So I click on start button, click on windows updates, the page freezes and will not fully load or close for that matter! So I reboot, open IE and go directly to windows update, I do the scan, it says there is two updates, I click on it but it will not down load! Now I have read a thousand threads on what to do! I have turned of the automatic updates, I do not have a fire wall, I have tried to manually download each update individually! I have done alot of other things too to resolve this issue, too many to list! If you do a google search on this problem, check the first 5 pages, I have done all of it! None have solve this irratating problem. Also I can not get to my add/delete programs section!

This problem started when I resolve another issue I was having which was with an ATI program I use to run my 32" lcd monitor! Or it could be from a spybot program that was accidentally stopped and immunized some registries!! I am not sure!

I am sure of one thing, if I do not solve this problem, golf season will start early!! As I will pull my 9 iron out and beat this computer to a pulp! lol

2. Kniht

Kniht Sergeant

Not sure about the update problem but try re-registering dll files to fix Add/Remove.

Open Notepad or another text editor (Start Menu > run > type notepad and press OK)

Then copy and paste the following into Notepad:

regsvr32 /s %systemroot%\System32\Appwiz.cpl
    regsvr32 /s %systemroot%\System32\Jscript.dll
    regsvr32 /s %systemroot%\System32\Msi.dll
    regsvr32 /s %systemroot%\System32\Mshtmled.dll
    regsvr32 /s %systemroot%\System32\Ole32.dll
    regsvr32 /s %systemroot%\System32\Urlmon.dll
    regsvr32 /s %systemroot%\System32\Clbcatq.dll
    regsvr32 /s %systemroot%\System32\Oleaut32.dll
    regsvr32 /s %systemroot%\System32\Mlang.dll
    regsvr32 /s %systemroot%\System32\Shell32.dll
    regsvr32 /s %systemroot%\System32\Plugin.ocx
    regsvr32 /s %systemroot%\System32\Imgutil.dll
    regsvr32 /s %systemroot%\System32\Cscui.dll
    EXIT

Go to File on the top bar of notepad and choose Save As, be sure the "Save As Type" is set to "All Files", name it register.bat and save it to your desktop.

Double click register.bat, you will notice cmd screen open then list each file and close, its then finished and registered the files.

Reboot and check Add/Remove.

3. lancelot_69

lancelot_69 Private E-2

Thank you for the reply! I did exactly as you said, but unfortunately all it did was change the appearance of the add/remove box, it still did not open! This must be one of the hardest things to fix! I have tried so many things but no one seems to be able to solve! Once again thank you for trying!

4. lancelot_69

lancelot_69 Private E-2

Now my yahoo instant messenger does not work! It just does not get any better! Where is my 9 iron!

5. Kniht

Kniht Sergeant

6. lancelot_69

lancelot_69 Private E-2

Ok I have past the trendmicro.com test unfortunately I could not run the other two for some reason! I do run kaspersky online scanner once a week and always past infection free! I have also ran almost every virus and malware offered here on majorgeeks! I really apprieciate your help!

7. Kniht

Kniht Sergeant

OK, seeing as how you've tried everything in the book before this, I'm going to run and hide after I ask this one. If you go into services, is Background Intelligence Transfer started and set to automatic?

(Glad you can't reach me with that 9 iron :D)

8. lancelot_69

lancelot_69 Private E-2

Well I have no idea lol! My run program does not work now either :p ! Now where is my golf bag!

9. Kniht

Kniht Sergeant

When you try to open Run do you get an error message?

10. lancelot_69

lancelot_69 Private E-2

When I try to run the "run" program it just flashes. Nothing happens, it was working yesterday lol! I have now noticed also that not only can I not get to the add/delete program, when I access my program files this is now empty lol I guess I do not have programs!:p

11. Kniht

Kniht Sergeant

Have you tried a system restore to a point before all this started happening?

You could also try to run chkdsk and the system file checker.

To run chkdsk (check disk) seeing as how Run is not working, click on Start go to "All Programs", "Accessories", then click on "Command Prompt".

In Command Prompt type "chkdsk /f /r" without the quotes and then hit enter.

You will be presented with "cannot lock drive at this time ----- do you wish to schedule a check disk at the next boot", type in "y" without the quotes and hit enter. Reboot

See if this helps with anything.

If that process solves nothing, open command prompt again and type in "sfc /scannow" without the quotes and hit enter. You may be asked for the XP cd.

What this is going to do is replace any missing or corrupt Windows system files.

12. lancelot_69

lancelot_69 Private E-2

chkdsk turned up no problems but oddly enough run program is back! Go figure!As for the sfc/scan now, I do not have the disc to run this! It has been lost in move :p My live and computer is hell!

13. lancelot_69

lancelot_69 Private E-2

ok background intelligence transfer was on manual so I set to automatic! It did not make no difference though! I still can not get to the add/remove programs! arrrrrgggg

14. Kniht

Kniht Sergeant

Only if you think it is. (Man, am I glad I'm not close enough for you to smack me with that 9 iron! rolleyes)

Anyway, open My Computer and go to C drive. Look for a folder named i386. If it is there you should be able to run sfc /scannow without the XP cd. If it's not there do you know of someone you can borrow the cd from? I had to borrow my daughter's to be able to run the system file checker.

I'm glad at least Run is working again. Seems we're getting somewhere.

15. lancelot_69

lancelot_69 Private E-2

OK done that, got no error messages! Also add/delete program will still not open! I did recieve a message from someone else stating this!

Microsoft Axing Windows 2000 Security Updates
    Linked by Eugenia Loli-Queru on Thu 27th Jan 2005 05:31 UTC, submitted by Jack
    Microsoft has confirmed that they will no longer issue security updates for Windows 2000. In addition, standard support for Windows 2000 is currently scheduled to end in June.

Which might be why I can not update windows 2000 lol ! Although why would they still send update alerts? Odd thing was it was only a little while ago I recieved it and when I could not update I shut the auto updater off until I would fix the problem! This was similar to putting tape over check engine light until you got enough money to check engine on car :p

16. Kniht

Kniht Sergeant

Found this on the net:

Windows 2000 moves into Extended Support after June 30th

There are two important events that will happen to the support policy for Windows 2000 after June 30th of this year.

First, support for both IE 5.01 SP3 and IE 6 SP1 on Windows 2000 SP3 will expire. Users running IE 5.01 or IE 6 SP1 on Windows 2000 should upgrade to Windows 2000 SP4 in order to continue to receive security updates.

Second, Windows 2000 SP4 moves from mainstream to extended support. The key difference between mainstream support and extended support which I think is most relevant to this audience is this quote from the lifecycle site: "Microsoft will not accept requests for warranty support, design changes, or new features during the Extended support phase." We will of course continue to keep our Windows 2000 SP4 customers secure with security updates through the life of Windows 2000 (through 2010). There are a few other differences between the two support models which you can read about at the lifecycle site. You may also want to read my previous post about Windows’ lifecycle.

It should be no surprise that we do not plan on releasing IE7 for Windows 2000. One reason is where we are in the Windows 2000 lifecycle. Another is that some of the security work in IE7 relies on operating system functionality in XPSP2 that is non-trivial to port back to Windows 2000.

Please note that these lifecycle changes are only for IE on Windows 2000. For questions about other versions of IE (IE for PocketPC, IE for Mac), please consult the lifecycle site for the latest expiration dates.

You mean your not suppose to put tape over the "Check Engine Soon" light?

17. lancelot_69

lancelot_69 Private E-2

Well that would explain why I would still recieve the updates! I have the sp4 package! The purpose of the tape is so the check engine light will not remind you of your current finanicial position! Which I would assume since we can afford tape is just above homeless :p

18. Kniht

Kniht Sergeant

That has got to be the most unique and best explaination I have ever heard!:D

Anyway, don't know if this will be of any help for Add/Remove:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=266668#toc

19. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

What are the numbers of the two updates for 2K that you can't seem to install?
    I ask because I too run 2K (on four computers) and was having a problem with one particular update since February.

20. lancelot_69

lancelot_69 Private E-2

Ok lol it ask me to locate and compare registry keys but I do not know how to locate they do not seem to be where that page says it is! Just my luck I bought cheap tape! I can see the check engine light lol

21. Kniht

Kniht Sergeant

Did you click on the + sign next to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT to expand the tree?

Scroll down a ways and find CLSID, click on the + sign next to it.

Look for the numbers shown in the article, click on the + sign next to each number to expand.

See attached file.

Attached Files:

22. lancelot_69

lancelot_69 Private E-2

I can not be sure but I do believe these are the two updates!KB922770 and KB922481 they are both small files that would take only 2minutes in total to load! Here are the links where they are found!

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=56A1777B-9758-489F-8BE8-5177AAF488D1

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=56A1777B-9758-489F-8BE8-5177AAF488D1

23. lancelot_69

lancelot_69 Private E-2

I have no idea where to find them, or if that is one of the sections disabled in this computer hell I am in! I have done a search to try and find them but do not know exactly where to look! Good news though my yahoo messenger now works! I managed at one point to get into the add/delete programs once after 100 previous attempt through some weird route that I can not recall and deleted a some spyware programs and other programs that where new in the last 2 weeks! So progress is being made and I thank every one for there efforts! I am still leaning towards the 9 iron at the moment though :p

24. lancelot_69

lancelot_69 Private E-2

OK I finally found them lol Every thing seems to be there! I did every thing on that page up until I needed the installation disc. I am trying to locate one! But I am in the arm pit of Ontario! Not to many people with windows 2000 kicking around, for that matter not to much signs of intelligent life in this town :p ! Odd thing though, besides add/remove program not opening! My windows update icon has made its reapearance! I shut that off long ago! Sadly I can not remember how I did that! Must be the excessive smashing of head against the wall has affected memory! :p

25. lancelot_69

lancelot_69 Private E-2

Ok for some reason, I do not know why, my add/delete programs now work! I can still not get updates,but I think I did manually download the ones I needed since my automatic update icon is not showing but is on! Thanks for all that helped! I wish I knew how I did it! lol

26. Kniht

Kniht Sergeant

Maybe it finally understood what a 9 iron is! Next time my PC starts messin' up, I'm going to threaten it with something. I'll try the 9 iron routine, seems to work!

Glad things worked out for ya'. :clap

Been real.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds