Windows Updates won't install 2nd attempt

Discussion in 'Software' started by mtc3999, Jul 29, 2004.

1. mtc3999

mtc3999 Private E-2

1. Windows Update won't install critical updates KB841873 & KB839645.
    Reason: "files replaced by unrecognized versions" and "..files should be copied, C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386/controls.man is not available."

2. Spybot-S&D keeps trying to wipe out the following files but they keep coming back even after a safemode scan. Files are:
    WhenUWeathercast
    WhenUSaveNow
    BonziBuddy
    CleverIEhooker.Jeired
    Conducent TimeSink
    DownloadWare
    DSO Exploit
    Hotbar
    Search-Explorer
    Xupiter

Most of these say Registry key, nothing done; or Registry Value, nothing done)

System: Win XP Home, svc pk 1, 5.1 (Build 2600)
    P III, 552 Mhz
    896mb Ram
    9.55mb HD, 37.27 GB HD

If this is a double entry forgive but my first was written in T-storm and the power blinked.
    Thanks for the help. :)

2. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

3. owl

owl Private E-2

I had/have the same problem with the updates. I queried Microsoft. Their advice was to boot off my install disk, and use that to repair my files. This was totally bogus. What it did was to return my operating system to the point where I had no updates. After 2 hours of downloading updates, I was back to exactly the same problem. I searched my hard drive and found a program of this name in a file associated with my CD burner, created a folder called ServicePack1 and a subfolder called i386, and put a copy of that program in it. This stopped the error message, but apparently the upgrades do not record, because despite downloading them, the upgrade page insists that they need downloading. So, I don't know what the answer is, but it is sure that the advice I got from Microsoft was useless.

4. mtc3999

mtc3999 Private E-2

A. Just Playin..thanks, my problem is step one has to do with downloading updates...bam! can't install them.

B. Owl, what directory did you create the folders off of..C: root directory?
    Thank you both for trying I appreciate it.

5. mtc3999

mtc3999 Private E-2

Followup - I was able to find controls.man file on my XP upgrade disk and copied it to the /i386 file which fixed the problem. Thanks again for the advice. Thanks again for this place. It's nice to have a place to go and ask questions, regardless of how inane they may be.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds