Windows User Account Question

Discussion in 'Software' started by doughawk, Mar 22, 2006.

1. doughawk

doughawk Private E-2

I am running Windows XP Professional on my home computer. I have established administrator accounts (for adults in household) and limited user accounts for the children. I also have Norton's Internet Security and Antivirus installed.
    Problem:
    There are programs and games that I wish for the limited users to access, including MicroSoft Office, Wordperfect. The children's account will not access these programs.

When I installed the programs, I just used the default installations.

What can I do so that the limited accounts can access some of these programs. I am wary about them "doing homework" in my administrator account, because I have found some "not so good stuff" in my cookies file.

Any suggestions would be appreciated?

2. stardis

stardis Private E-2

I only use the administrators account so I don't have experience with setting access control to programs for other users, but try the following.
    click on the start > Help and Support > System Administaration > Access Control > Set, view , change etc. and see if that can help you do what you want.

There is a lot of info on that page that you can read also.

3. toehead410

toehead410 Corporal

I've had this happen a few times. I simply created shortcuts to the applications in question, then copied the shortcuts to the [START] menu or the desktop of the limited accounts.

4. doughawk

doughawk Private E-2

The icons are on the desktop and created when I installed the program. It is just the clicking the icons will not work in the limited account.

5. doughawk

doughawk Private E-2

unfortunately, there is no security tab on the programs. Unless I am looking in the wrong place.

6. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

Add one.

7. stardis

stardis Private E-2

There is a note to click on a link to see the security tab if its not visible.

Take what I say with caution and probably make a restore point before you do this. It seems to me that if you use Windows Explorer to navigate to Local Disk C: > Documents and Settings > All Users and you can see the shared documents folder in the right pane, then you can drag a folder from the left pane into the shared documents folder.

Try and navigate to the program that you want to share in Windows Explorer and right click on it in the left pane and then left click on Sharing and Security tab. Read what the popup window says under the sharing tab.

Sorry I can't be more helpful on this. I have reached the limits of my experience on sharing.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds