Windows: User and Administrator accounts

Discussion in 'Software' started by sumthinelse, Feb 24, 2007.

1. sumthinelse

sumthinelse Private E-2

It's safer to have a limited account for internet use, while using the admin account only when needed. That is, you would log in as a limited user for email and web browsing, but (for example) when you started a command prompt you could use the "run as" option if you needed to use it as an admin.

For someone who has used the administrator account for everything, though, it's a real pain to set up user preferences for a new limited account. I wish Windows would let you copy one user account to another with a new name, and then change the new user's group to user instead of admin. I have seen that capability on some operating systems but don't know how to do it in Windows.

Is there a way to do this in Windows?

Is there an easy way to copy one user's account's Firefox settings and addons to another user's Firefox?

2. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Do it the other way around!!!!!!!!!;)

Set up a new ADMINISTRATOR account.
    Then demote your current account to limited user.

That way you keep all your existing settings and data intact.
    :hyper
    Studio T

3. sumthinelse

sumthinelse Private E-2

Thanks. Yes that makes sense I think. The settings for Firefox etc. are more useful when in user mode. The quicklaunch items for an admin would be pretty simple.

4. sumthinelse

sumthinelse Private E-2

Still have a problem. Windows won't let me do "run as" when I start a command prompt, for example. I know I can do this in unix.

5. sumthinelse

sumthinelse Private E-2

Never mind. I had to enable the "secondary logon" service.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds