windows vertical scroll bar will not let me select from a drop down list

Discussion in 'Software' started by sable51, May 28, 2012.

1. sable51

sable51 Private E-2

The vertical scroll bar will not let me select. The list goes right back to the top or wherever the list was when I tried to access the list. I am trying to deep clean my computer and I have gotten to the part where I install the malware program. It won't let me select the language I need. It is not only that program, but everything in windows explorer. For the most part, I can select from a list when I am on the internet.

Win Vista Home, HP Pavilion

Thanks for your help. Diane

2. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Hi Diane,

Try using the Alt key and then the Up/Down/Left/Right keyboard arrows and the Tab key in dialogue boxes.

3. sable51

sable51 Private E-2

Thanks for your help. Some things will let me use the keyboard shortcuts. Other things will not. It seems to be mostly on Windows Explorer that my mouse will not work properly. It seems to work fine on Internet sites, or at least on the ones that I have tried recently. I tried to used the "list" option on one section of my computer files. It worked the first time, then my horizontal scroll would not work. :( I also did an update on my mouse (Logitech). The system said that I had the latest update.

4. satrow

I'm guessing you used the update feature in Windows' Device Manager to update the mouse drivers? Don't ^^, always use the drivers from the device maker - Logitech, in your case.

Try updating the mouse drivers from the Logitech support site. Also check that there's nothing causing a key on the keyboard to stick, if it's not a laptop, hold the keyboard upside down a foot or so above your wastepaper bin and slap the back of it several times, you may dislodge anything that's been causing the oddity.

Has this only happened since you began your deep-cleaning routine? Did this involve anything that 'cleans' the Windows Registry?

5. sable51

sable51 Private E-2

Thanks again for your help. I had been having trouble with the mouse not wanting to scroll correctly several months ago before I started the cleaning process. I figured that part of the problem was that my computer just needed a good housecleaning, defrag, straightening up, that sort of thing. I hadn't really used any of my programs for a while due to my having 2 major surgeries within a 2 month period and then the recuperating time. When I started back to using the computer, I realized that the program would not let me change any of the settings. I thought at first that it was just that program. Then I realized that the mouse was acting funny in all the Windows Explorer items. The mouse would not scroll down. If I needed to change to another option on anything, the list would immediately go back to whatever was there when I first clicked on it. If I actually managed to get the screen to where I could select a folder or action, the vertical scroll bar would jump back to the top of the screen before I can make the change or would immediately go back to the first option listed. I changed the view option to the list view. That worked the first time. Then when I tried it again, the horizontal scroll would not work. I was able to use the first program in the cleaning process. I had downloaded the Malware program fine, but when I started to install, I could not choose the language option, so that put me at a stop with that. Other programs where I try to change an option or select a folder with the mouse, have been unsuccessful. I have tried to change the settings forthe mouse in the control panel without any luck. I deleted the mouse, shut the computer off and restarted the computer and re-installed the mouse. Again, no luck. The mouse seems to be working fine when I am on the Internet. I can select and scroll just fine. I also tried to do a System Restore, but the system did not change anything. Right now, I am at a standstill with the deep cleaning process. I apologize for the length of the message, but that is where I stand right now. Thanks for any help that you can give me. Diane :)

6. satrow

I'm having difficulties trying to figure out quite what the problem could be, could you borrow/buy a different mouse to test with?

7. bluelaphantdino

bluelaphantdino Private E-2

Augh! I've been having the exact same problem for about 4 months and I'm dying to figure out what it is. I also have a Logitech mouse, but I know for a fact the mouse isn't causing the problem because I've tried other mouses, palettes, and unplugged them altogether as well.

At first I could just restart my laptop but that was too ridiculous to do after a while because it started happening more. This problem seemed to only happen when I played any kind of Facebook game like Farmville and whatnot on Google Chrome. Thinking it was Google's fault, I uninstalled Google Chrome and used Internet Explorer, AOL, and Firefox all with the same problem.

Then I noticed I can't right-click on anything, (whether it be my plain old desktop, a Microsoft Word document, or a web page) I couldn't select anything from the drop down menu. The right-click menu shows up for a split second and then blinks away. Spending 5 minutes trying to out-click the right-click selection box is not a fun game.

I've used Norton, Spyware Doctor, and McAfee products to scan/remove any possible intrusions and have found nothing. I even deleted several files of old pictures that were just taking space on my laptop to see if it was some sort of space issue. No luck.

In short, I'd just love to figure out what the heck is wrong with this. I'm baffled and can't seem to even find enough people complaining about this problem to understand what category of a problem this is.
    Sorry I couldn't help, but I'm hoping that there might be something slightly similar in our stories so that we can pin-point what exactly it is.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds