Windows very broken after malware - help please

Discussion in 'Software' started by the_journeyman_au, Nov 16, 2010.

1. the_journeyman_au

the_journeyman_au Private E-2

I am trying to fix a computer that was infested with a whole bunch of malware. Thanks to Kestrel in the malware forum, I am now malware free but windows is still fubar'ed. Here is my thread.
    The Windows mess was caused by me hitting "F9 for Express Recovery" accidentally during bootup, then having to repair the windows install using the disk before it'd boot at all. Then, stupidly, toggling system restore to remove the restore points as they were malware infected.
    So, now I am malware free but windows just hangs any time I try to do anything in normal (not safe) mode. Like install windows updates. Or re-enable system restore. Or sometimes just start it and attempt to click the start button.
    I have no idea where to start :cry so any help would be much appreciated.

2. the_journeyman_au

the_journeyman_au Private E-2

I just found a thread 'Computer restarts after 10seconds' which suggested if things work OK in safe mode (which they do) to disable all startup programs. I just tried that but it didn't help.

3. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings, the_journeyman_au.

For clarification: you do have a Windows XP disk?

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Probably the malware and subsequent removal might have changed some windows services.

I'm not sure if this will work in safe mode. Go here http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm
    go through all the services (Control Panel, Admin Tools then Services) and check to be sure the ones that should be automatic are set that way.

5. englyn

englyn Private E-2

Hi, I'm the same person as started this thread, new username.

I have a win xp disk.

I tried going through the services, which hung horribly in normal mode as soon as I tried to change something, but not before I noticed that avast was stuck in 'starting'. In safe mode I uninstalled avast and turned off google updater services. It seems to run better now, I will have a more thorough investigate tonight and update.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds