Windows Vista 64 bit SP2. Update or wait?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Amethyst_08, Dec 4, 2009.

1. Amethyst_08

Amethyst_08 Corporal

Asking this in behalf of my son re his new laptop. This was offered as a windows update on his Vista 64 bit OS. Is anyone out there using Vista 64 bit SP2, and if so, any problems/issues with it?

2. theefool

theefool Geekified

I can't reply to this (but I am anyway I guess), but any SP should be installed. Running win 7 at the moment.

3. Amethyst_08

Amethyst_08 Corporal

Hmm...just read some stuff on the Microsoft forums, and I'm gonna answer my own question. There are people having problems with this service pack, and it appears to be bad enough that I don't think I would advise my son to go ahead with it. Waiting on an answer, though, to the question of whether or not MS will continue provide critical updates to Vista 64 SP1.

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Critical/security updates will still be offered, as well as SP2.
    I know people still running XP and have yet to install SP3 (still running on SP2 or even SP1) and are offered updates.

You might not want automatic updates because it will keep being downloaded in the background and you will have to keep refusing to install it. Pick the notify but do not download option.

5. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Thats pretty silly.

I have SP2 here. No issues whatsoever.

People like to blame their own problems on something unrelated. Or they have a malware infected machine, and blame the service pack for messing things up.

Same song and dance as every service pack, for every OS.

6. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

I would agree with Adryn on Vista Sp2 as I have used it on many a PC with no issues at all, what you tend to get on forums is always the negative and not the positive with any software.

So long as your malware free and all your apps, especially security apps are fully upto date then the update goes fine.

7. Imperfect1

Imperfect1 Private First Class

Just adding my 2 cents --- I've had problems with miscellaneous Windows updates occasionally, but my Vista SP2 update was perfect, and went very smoothly --- no problems.

8. Serious Sam

Serious Sam Corporal

The only problems I've ever seen associated with installing SP's has always been 3rd party software, not in windows itself. Granted, in a working enviornment that can be considered a large concern, which is why testing is always done first before implementing to numerous PC's in said enviornment.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds