Windows Vista Clean Install

Discussion in 'Software' started by artistwantab, Dec 17, 2011.

1. artistwantab

artistwantab Private First Class

Hey guys,

I have a Toshiba laptop that I bought new at Best Buys years ago. My girlfriend left her Ipad on top of the laptop and since then the computer is having all sorts of problems related to windows.

I figured I would do a clean install because windows repair doesn't seem to solve it.

The question I have is the laptop was not supplied with an operating disk.

I figure I can call toshiba and they might be able to send me one but I would rather not wait to have a working lap top.

What are my options?

2. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

Short of ordering a restore disc from Toshiba, the only legal way to do it is purchasing a new copy of Windows.

If you had Vista, you should be safe upgrading to Windows 7 (much more stable, plus it's unlikely you'll find Vista available for sale anymore).

The least expensive way to get Windows 7 is buying an "OEM" (System Builder) copy. This is a license that, once activated, will be tied to the PC you install it on.

The OEM version of Windows 7 Premium sells for around $100. If you have a Fry's, MicroCenter or other large PC parts retailer nearby, they should have it in stock. If not, try Newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116983

Unless the PC has over 4GB of RAM, stick with the 32-bit version.

Hope this helps. :)

3. COMPUABLE

COMPUABLE First Sergeant

According to the Toshiba support website:

"All Toshiba laptops ship from the factory with the ability to run the system recovery process from a hard disk partition, and with preinstalled software that can be used to record recovery media to blank discs. Toshiba recommends creating recovery media to ensure the ability to run a system recovery even if the hard disk recovery partition is damaged or deleted, or if the hard disk breaks."

The following webpage decribes the replacement "recovery media" process...

From Toshiba Support:
    System Recovery and Recovery Media - How to Create (or order new) Replacement Recovery Media

Good Luck!

COMP

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds