Windows Vista compatible free antivirus software

Discussion in 'Software' started by Minus, Feb 22, 2007.

1. Minus

Minus Private E-2

IVe tried searching the forum but couldnt find anything on this topic.

Does anyone know of any good, effective antivirus software compatible with Vista???? I have Antivir for my cpus running XP, but im not sure if its compatible with Vista also.

Ive found this: http://www.mwti.net/products/mwav/mwav.asp , which advertises that its free, but not sure if its dependable.

Im also looking for a free reliable firewall for vista to if anyone can help out.

Thanks

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

3. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

A friend just tried this new Jetico beta and started getting BSODs with IRQ not less or equal. I tried the last release and had some 56 dialog boxes to just say yes before I could get on the internet. It's a real PITA and is definitely not ready for primetime. C'mon ZA, give us one pretty please?

4. DavidGP

I tried the previous one Augie, it worked ok, but I removed it as I didnt like it, yes pitty ZA havnt released their free V7 updated edition or better still Comodo is rapidly becoming a fav with many.

5. nitecrawler

nitecrawler Guest

Avast (found at Halo's link) works a treat dude! ;)

Regards...

6. DavidGP

Glad you like it Nitecrawler, I know its a fav of mine to use, plus AWIL were one of the security companies that were very active in the Vista beta program in getting there software working with the new security blocks imposed by MSFT on various locations in the OS, unlike some companies who just cried foul and spat the preverbial dummy.

Just need a decient FW now as I could create outbound rules for the built in one but TBH, I really want an easy option that the likes of ZA and Comodo will offer.

7. nitecrawler

nitecrawler Guest

ahh.....your gettin old mate and like me, you want it all on a platter! :p

but yes......i would love to hear any suggestion you may have as for a decent third party firewall for vista!

I am using windows FW at the moment in conjunction with the hardware router. Used to run Outpost pro with my XP install!

Regards..

8. DavidGP

Yep at present I'm running the Vista FW and a Hardware SPI/NAT router.

I tried to force an install of Comodo, while it did install it didnt work as well as I wanted, so waiting for them to release a Vista version which I gather will be March.

Jetico works fine but I personally dont like its user interface, but will let you know when I find one that works or one of the usual suspects thats been updated.

9. nitecrawler

nitecrawler Guest

Cheers mate! ;)

Regards..

10. thankyouforhelpingme

thankyouforhelpingme Private E-2

Can you use both AVG and the AVAST on your computer at the same time or should you only use one or the other?

11. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

One or the other.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds