Windows Vista control panel problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by technojock, Jan 22, 2008.

1. technojock

technojock Private E-2

One of my clients has a new Dell computer with a strange problem. It's running a 32 bit version of Vista with 3 gigs of ram.

When the computer is first turned on it won't print and if the control panel is opened, it will blink on and close. Performing a restart will get it working. I've tried running msconfig and disabling everything in start up but it doesn't seem to have any effect. I've scanned the system with 3 different AV products (AVG is installed and on line from McAfee and Trend.) Until this, I was sure it had a virus.

The steps to reproduce the problem are:
    1, Shut the computer down
    2, Turn the computer on
    3, open the control panel (the control panel will blink on then close)
    There will be a printer error when attempting to print

4, perform a restart and the control panel will open normally and will also print normally.

Right now I'm having the client leave the machine on until I can resolve this issue. I'm also having them perform a full system virus scan before going home for the evening.

Any help would be appreciated. I've found nothing in the MS knowledgebase.

Tony

2. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Does this happen in all accounts, administrator and standard?

When you first start the pc what happens, before you precipitate the problem. Does the welcome centre appear?

Is the printer on a network or connected to the dell ? Does the error occure if the printer is not connected?
    Have you loaded the printer software and is it Vista compatible?

Oh and welcome to Major Geeks

3. technojock

technojock Private E-2

There is only one user account and it is set at admin level. The printer is an office jet all in one and Vista came with the drivers for it. The welcome screen pops up just fine and the user logs in as usual. The only difference I can see in the process is this problem happens after a shut down but works after a restart. I can see why people hate vista.

BTW, I've been a lurker here for over a year but this is the first time I've needed to post a message for help. I was a Windows support tech back in the win9x days.

Tony

4. miles37

miles37 Private E-2

I am currently having the same problem. Has you solved this problem?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds