Windows Vista Crash - Possible Koobface side effect

Discussion in 'Software' started by Renzal, Aug 15, 2010.

1. Renzal

Renzal Private E-2

Hi All,

I was lucky enough to let a mate use a computer who got a link through facebook and d/l the koobface worm (virus) onto my P.C. I managed to get rid of it using a few guides and running a few registry cleaners.

Not long after I ran the cleaners, my comp has decided it likes to shut down without any prompts. Typically it is around 10am every day but not at exactly the same time.

There are no logs about apps trying to start or any programs that have auto updates that are starting around then so i'm a bit lost as to what is causing the program or how to fix it.

I have Hijackthis and plenty of other progs but nothing that gives any indication as to how I could record the event that triggers the crash.

Any help would be great Thanks.

2. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings, Renzal...

I would suggest that you follow the steps listed here - the MG Malware guys are pretty good...

Keep us posted!

3. Renzal

Renzal Private E-2

Thanks Caliban they were helpful.

Still got the main problem of the computer shutting down with no history of what caused it.

Its not happening at the same time anymore it can be anytime throughout the day. It has happened when the computer is under load i.e heavy usage or normally just happens when the computer is idle.

Any ideas on how to record whats triggering the crash or how to stop it would be appreciated.

Pretty sure its not hardware as done all the scans I have and no errors coming up.

4. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Ok - a few more suggestions...

We need all available specs: OS, service pack, aniti-virus and -spyware progs, browser(s), etc., along with any hardware info you can come up with...really need that info before we can start specializing...

In general, my first steps would be to run in Safe Mode for a while, see if the symptoms change or persist...make sure auto restart is disabled (usually Control Panel, System, Advanced, Startup and Recovery settings)...try to check your Event Viewer as soon as you can after a crash...make sure your BIOS is set to Safe defaults...if your BIOS has temperature monitors, check them - if not, see if you can load a good System Information tool, such as Aida or Speccy, try to find out if any of your components are overheating...use process of elimination to try to change your symptoms (uninstall sound card, disable network stuff, switch between video card and onboard graphics, etc.)...
    make sure all of your drivers are current...

Just runnin' down the list - I'm sure there will be more suggestions...keep your spirits up!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds