Windows Vista hidden files appearing on desktop

Discussion in 'Software' started by aroidgrower, Mar 13, 2009.

1. aroidgrower

aroidgrower Private E-2

In the process of trying to manually remove malware from the Temperary Internet folder there was a folder that was hidden while navigating to the temp internet files folder. I knew this folder was there so I removed the hidden attribute. Not only have I not been able to remove the malware I now have two files on the desktop with the same first name and I assume a different extension. How do I make these files hidden again? Can I simply delete them and will Windows Vista re-create them as hidden files/folders the next time it re-boots?

I have a lot of experience using Windows XP but none using Vista.

If I remembered which directory I removed the hidden attribute from while navigating to the temp internet files folder I would simply make it hidden again and Believe this would fix this problem. I do not want to do too much experimenting with this because I don't know if it will make the system unstable.

Has anybody had a similar problem?

2. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Looks like it is the same as XP except you only have access to Folder Options in Control Panel. Here is a link for showing the files but you would tick "Do not show hidden" and also tick "Hide system files" rather than clear the circles.

The path to temp internet files is "C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files" I don't know which folders are hidden on Vista but AppData is probably the highest on the list. *but hiding AppData shouldn't change your Desktop attributes so I would go with Control Panel>Folder Options.

3. aroidgrower

aroidgrower Private E-2

Thanks sach2, I will try that in a little while. I can't believe how much I've forgotten in such a short time away from windows.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds