Windows Vista issue.

Discussion in 'Software' started by Trite, Oct 26, 2010.

1. Trite

Trite Private E-2

Well one morning I woke up to find my laptop was frozen. So I turned it off and turned it back on. From then on it would just keep freezing up. At different points though, not always at one specific point. Sometimes right when I logged in, or other times about 15 minutes after me using it. There were no viruses and I don't torrent things. I even scanned all my files and they're clean.

So I had my dad check it out and he just reformatted my drive and reinstalled Windows and put on Ubuntu. He gave it back and everything worked for a few days. I put some of my old stuff back on and now it's freezing up again.

I think a file I have is corrupted, because it happened right when I was listening to one of my songs. I was using iTunes to listen to it, if it matters/helps. Now though it freezes up randomly. So bad to the point I log in and then it's frozen.

Ubuntu has no issues though, and none of my files are on Ubuntu (which is what I am currently using. It's dual booted onto my laptop.). I plan on deleting all of my things and collecting all my music over again from scratch, but I want to know, is there anything I can use to fix my laptop? It's over 80 gigs of music and I don't want to lose it. I've been collecting for four years.

Thank you all so much. If you need to know anything else, please tell me, though I'm pretty stupid when it comes to computers.

2. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings, Trite.

We need some more info: make and model # of the machine, Vista service pack #, 32-bit or 64-bit, etc.

Also, if possible, please download and install Everest, a free system information tool.

Run Everest and click Report (top menu) > Report Wizard > Next
    Choose System Summary Only > Next
    Choose Plain Text > Finish and wait for report to generate
    Click Save to File and leave the File Name as Report
    Click the Save as Type dropdown and choose Report files (*txt) and click Save (n.b. Save to desktop, use Browse to locate desktop)

Then attach your log to your next post per these instructions: HOW TO: Attach Items To Your Post.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds