Windows Vista Questions - Hardware

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GaryG, Nov 25, 2006.

1. GaryG

GaryG Private First Class

I have done a bit of searching on the web looking for information about hardware that is known to have a problem with Vista. I've been trying to install vista on my second machine and have had nothing but install failres and errors. Many times the error ofr failure is different. At first I suspected a dvd drive probelm so the dvd drive was replaced.
    That did not help.

The system is an older one - tyan trinity kt-a mother board flashed to the latest bios upgrade; and an AMD Duron 900MHz processor; and 1gig of ram.

I saw one comment in a forum somewhere, while I was searching for compatability information, that indicated an incombatibility between Vista and the AMD Duron processer. Finding only one comment like that in a forum other than a MajorGeeks forum suggests to me that I should take it with a grain of salt.

I really don't want to tell SWMBO that I need a new motherboard and processer.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

You get all of these errors when trying to install Vista, generally around the copying of files stage, possibly?

What I would do is to re-burn the Vista ISO at no more than 2x speed as its well known that burning the ISO at full speed of your burner, "may" cause the install to fail.

note: not everyone has a failure on install if they burn at full speed, but many do.

3. GaryG

GaryG Private First Class

Halo,
    Thankyou for the reply; I appreciate it.

I have burned the dvd's 1 at full speed, 1 at 4x and 1 at 1x.
    The one burned a 1x is a re-writeable.
    My first thought was that the dvd reader was at fault so I replaced the reader on the pc the failures are on and that did not help.

Something else, the first time I tried to install vista (on the older pc) it took a good bit of time copying files and failed while doing that. since then, it only spends a 1/2 min., at most, copying files- even though all partitions on the hard drive were re-formated - and then steps to [is it expanding or extracting] files (second item in list) and failes while doing that - sometimes a missing file error, sometimes a BSOD (the error codes vary).
    This is why I've thought about Vista and hardware compatibility issues, if there are any

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds