Windows Vista software issue

Discussion in 'Software' started by Texasrebel, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Texasrebel

Texasrebel Private E-2

I had malware in my system, but the guys over in the malware dept. took care of it, however, in the process something happened and they said I needed to come here to get it resolved. Problem is....when I double click on anything other than a folder on my desk top I get this message title: "c:\programfiles(x86) and the name of the extension here" and the message: This file does not have a program association with it for performing this action. Create an association in the set asscoiation control panel".

The only way I can log onto any of these desk icons is by right clicking and clicking "Run as Administrator". This is getting very old :eek:)

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Larry

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

3. Texasrebel

Texasrebel Private E-2

Appreciate the help, but I think its something else. I did as you said and all the file associations are identified with the proper programs. Im pretty sure its a problem with my short cuts on desktop. I clicked start and double clicked my email from start menu and it worked. So I removed the email short cut on desktop and draged the email icon from start menu onto desktop and it now works. However...other items in start menu such as Inernet Explorer, Irfanview and a host of others will not open by double clicking from start menu, and still get the same message I posted in previous message. Any ideas? Thanks

Larry

4. Texasrebel

Texasrebel Private E-2

One other thing that might help. I cant run any programs from the start menu unless I right click and run as administrator", and I cannot run CMD, MSCONFIG, or any other commands from the command prompt. No matter what command I type in I get "windows cant find it and to make sure I have it spelled correctly". Also eveytime I shut down my computer and reboot, all desk icons get re-arranged. Thought this may help as well. Thanks

Larry

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I've never run Vista, the only version of Windows I've never used so I can't help, sorry.
    I do not like to supply help unless I can test it on my own computers.

6. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

It sounds like a permissions issue. Try right clicking one of the Start menu items you're having this problem with and clicking Properties and then the Security tab. Is your username listed at the top, and if so is everything checked below in the Allow column?

If your username isn't listed then your user profile has become corrupted and the quickest way to resolve this might be to create a new user account for yourself, but don't delete the old one just yet.

7. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

Your lnk files are no longer recognized as shortcuts to programs. This has the answer for you:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com...i/thread/e8631c28-4ce5-43cc-8865-b75fa2255b57

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds