Windows Vista / XP Pro Networking Problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sandeman, Jul 15, 2007.

1. sandeman

sandeman Private E-2

Hello all. I am about through the rest of my hair trying to figure out this problem.

I purchased a new comp today with Win Vista Home Premium. I want to use my old computer in a network with the new one. I purchased a D-Link WBR-3210 with some cables and set to work.

At first I had problems with the internet, but that was solved by the ISP. Now, I am getting the XP computer showing in the network map (full) in vista, but the XP computer is routed like so:

New computer ----> Switch -----> Gateway ------> Internet
    |
    |
    Old Computer

I have updated the Vista, and the Win XP machines, including the infamous LTTD protocol for Win XP.

It will not let me select the XP computer, and I have all the drives set to shared.

What am I doing wrong?

Sandeman

2. goldfinger7476

goldfinger7476 Private E-2

Is your old computer connected to your new computer? or to the switch?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds