Windows will not recognize any keyboards whatsoever.

Discussion in 'Software' started by GuitarBizarre, Feb 24, 2008.

1. GuitarBizarre

GuitarBizarre Private E-2

Ok, so I'm fixing a friends computer. The problems they have are it overheats and shuts off, and it doesn't recognize any keyboards.

First problem, simple, I cleaned out all the dust and gave it some AS5. Job done.

Second problem not so simple.

Firstly, it will recognize both USB and PS2 keyboards in the BIOS (I.E. Outside of windows)
    Secondly, device manager on XP states there is a problem with this device driver. Thats fair enough, except that I've already tested it with my G11, which I know works and has good drivers on the included disc, because I am typing this with it (On another PC)

Does anyone have any other ideas on why windows will not recognize ANY keyboards, yet the BIOS will? (I've confirmed this with a USB (G11) and PS2 keyboard of my own, and while still at my friends, they have tested it with wireless and wired keyboard and retrieved the same results.)

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Possible the overheating has caused some problems ...start a repair install and see if it repairs the missing drivers (this will require you to use ps2 devices).

3. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Apparently there is something wrong in Windows regarding your keyboard drivers. This is pretty rare but it does happen. Try right clicking on the device in the device manager and selecting Uninstall. Then restart the PC. Also, read this:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/102989/en-us
    It was written for Windows NT but much of it still applies to WinXP.
    I also found this but it may not be of any help. I searched to MS Knowledge base for various keyboard related issues, but very few related to XP... http://support.microsoft.com/kb/816659/en-us
    Also try updating or reloading your motherboard chipset drivers, and maybe a visit to Windows Update to check the optional hardware drivers available will help. As stated above, a repair install of your OS is pretty good idea also if all else fails...
    And welcome to MajorGeeks :major

4. GuitarBizarre

Thanks all, I'll try those suggestions as soon as possible and see how it goes.

5. GuitarBizarre

Tried uninstall and reinstall, problem persisted.

Also tried downloading replacements for i8042prt.sys and kbdclass.sys from driverguide.com

Threw them into the windows/system32/drivers folder, restarted. No dice. No dice reinstalling drivers again with those files there either.

Automatic driver update didnt find any better matches for my device.

Seems like I'm drawing inexorably closer towards that repair install, which i'm hesitant to do purely because its not my computer and thats a very major step to take. Plus, last time I did a repair install on my own computer, I had to reinstall a lot of programs and ended up creating more problems than it fixed, so i just formatted. On this comptuer I don't have that luxury.

6. GuitarBizarre

I did some jiggery pokery and even installed service pack 2 to get that thing to run, it ran, it still didn't fix the keyboards.

7. GuitarBizarre

*sigh*

In the end I gave up and gave them a fresh install of XP SP2. Couldn't for the life of me fix whatever the hell it was.

8. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Don't feel bad. I did quite a bit of searching on the web for fixes and all seemed to end with a reinstall. Odd that no one has been able to figure out the root of the problem.

9. GuitarBizarre

I don't, I think its just natural instinct not to admit I've been bested by an inanimate object :D

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds