windows wont boot? chkdsk /r

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Lapsed, Oct 8, 2007.

1. Lapsed

Lapsed Corporal

Right , I am now truly beguzzeled.

I'll explain to you what I can and cant do , and maybe a little of the story behind it. Yes , i'll do that.

Here goes nothing - Basically , when I turn on my computer , I can get into setup , and change options there , and after that the screen goes blank. ;/
    . My computer has had this problem before , and I fixed it with chkdsk /r . But heres the kick in the balls , i've forgotten how to get to that screen.

I aint a techie. Im a freakin' web designer. And all my life is on there.

I've managed to get to the "repair console" and I know what your thinking , should be plain sailing from there? Wrong. It asks for an admin password , I dont know this password and have never set it.

I know I did'nt go through this method before , so heres my question ( finally ) .

1. What is the other way to run chkdsk /r without using the repair console?
    2. is there an "auto set" admin password that I should know about?
    3.Any queries into my situation or comments, please post below you techies!

EDIT ; I cant be bothered to read through , and I hope it is all understandable , if not theres a quiz for you. Im very tired ^^.

2. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

nORMALLY, IF YOU NEVER SET A PASSWORD, JUST PRESS ENTER, AS THERE ISN'T ONE (NORMALLY)

3. Lapsed

Lapsed Corporal

Normally is'nt the case then. As is'nt your choice of case:p.

But yeah , is there any way to get into command prompt without the command prompt in safe mode with f8?
    If I go by this method it crashes. I.e can I get into command prompt through booting through the CD?

4. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

5. Lapsed

Lapsed Corporal

This for some reason , is seeming to be against working. It keeps crashing. Anyone have any other ideas?

6. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

My other suggestion is to connect this drive as a slave, to another computer, if at all possible.
    When connected in that way, you can
    Click start, RIGHT CLICK My Computer, then left click manage, left click Disk Mnagement, and you can right click the dodgy drive, and then click properties, then, choose check now on the first item 'error checking'
    This will check the drive.
    As you said , earlier that you ran chkdsk /r before, I would try to copy off any data from there to the other hard drive, or a usb drive, as your hard drive is very suspect , now , as it could be failing, and you might lose your data.
    If you can read it from disk management, in that way, it is still working, -If you cannot, then it might be going.
    If this turns out to be the case, come back, as there are ways we can try to see if any data can be saved.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds