windows wont boot in normal or safe mode HELP!!!!

Discussion in 'Software' started by jay186, Dec 8, 2005.

1. jay186

jay186 Private E-2

I have a computer with windows 98 and for some reson it would not start i had to bypass start up files to get it to run skipped autobat.exec and ran it safe mode but i has told to restore all those files with a windows 98 second edition disk since it has the original start programs for wins 98 on it so i did and it still wont start right i tired the same way skipping start progames but it would say missing system.INI and then shut it self off and when i start in safe mode it sayes something wrong with start in safe mode i say close and safe mode does not load please help I kown there is a way to fix the start programes without fully starting the computer please help please!!!!!!!!!!
    I would really appreciate it Thanks

2. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

I can understand your frustration, but a word for word message of the errors that you are experiencing would help everyone trouble shoot and help you! :)

Welcome to Major Geeks!

Last edited: Dec 8, 2005
  3. Shotgun_Shortz

Shotgun_Shortz Corporal

ok, here is a few things to try.

1:put in your setup installation disc in the CD-Drive. When your computer starts up you should see it display a message to bring up the setup menu (Delete key I think).Then go to the option (forgot which one) that has your start-up devices.You may see IDE-0 (Or whatever hard disc you have),then Floppy A:,Then cd-drive (Not in same order maybe).Change it around. Set the IDE-0 to the 3rd option, Change A: to 1st, And change CD-Drive to 2nd. Then hit esc. then hit F10 (maybe be different it means Save & Exit). Then when your computer starts up you should get some options. Choose run setup from CD-ROM. Then follow these instructions to reinstall your system files.

Do not worry it will not delete any of you current files on your computer. Only the system files which it seems is what your problem is.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds