Windows won't install - hardware problem?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by demonofsarila, Dec 17, 2010.

1. demonofsarila

demonofsarila Private E-2

I can't get windows to install, and I'm bit out ideas as to why.

I have a new cpu, mobo, and ram. The old windows fails to start, so I'm trying to install a new copy.
    i have 2 hdd's, a 4yr sata with 2 partitions and a brand new sata from newegg that's never had a partition on it.
    At first I was trying to install from a win7 disc i burned, but couldn't get that to work (it said it needed dvd drive drivers...) so i went back to my old official XP home edition disc (it's all shiny because MS burned it).
    bios sees the dvd drive (also sata) and any hdd's i connect, so it notices the windows installer and it does the "Setup is loading files..." thing. when it's finishing up that and about to let me pick a partition, it goes to a blue screen with white text:
    "A problem has been detected and windows has been shut sown to prevent damage to your computer.
    if this is the first time, restart. if this appears again try:
    check for viruses. remove any newly installed hdd's or hdd controllers. check ur hdd to make sure it's properly configured & terminated. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hdd corruption, and then restart your computer.
    Tech info:
    *** STOP: 0X00000078 (0XF78DE524, 0X C0000034, 0X00000000, 0X00000000)"

I've tried both hdd's, only the new one, only the old one, and neither hdd. It always gets to that error message. Neither has viruses and the new one can't. I tried removing the new one, and they're sata so they can't need things like terminating. And I'm not sure I can run check disc without windows, at the very least I don't know how. Also my old hdd was fine right before I put in the new parts, so I don't know why it would need a check disc anyway.

I've tried using a friend's dvd drive, an xp pro disc that i burned that has worked before, using different cables between the drives and the mobo. I've tried putting them on different cords from my psu, different ports on the mobo. Tried popping the ram out and putting it back in. Tried each of the 2 sticks I have for this board alone/individually. Still gets to that error message each time.

I've basically run myself (and my friend who usually can fix my computer if I can't) out of ideas here, and I'm open to suggestions. Thank you for reading my long post.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

This Windows 7 DVD you burned, where was it from?

How is your PC setup as reguards to HDDs, are you using Raid for instance?

If not using Raid then only have one HDD (the one you want as your C: drive) in the PC when you install Windows 7, then and also, depending on where you gained your version of Windows 7 from, its a good thing to burn it at the slowest speed possible as ISOs can be fussy when burned at full speed.

Also take out any un-necassary hardware fromt he PC, so as well as the extra HDDs, unplug any USB devices, apart from keyboard and mouse and then try the install.

3. demonofsarila

I've been told the hardware is compatible, but if you want to check for yourself, please do.
    mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157198
    ram: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231310
    cpu: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103858

not unless they're both dead which as far as I'm told is unlikely.

win7 disc (64bit) - one of my prof's has this deal thing with microsoft, basically we get 1 free download and 1 free key for a lot of their stuff as long as we use it for school and not commercial purposes (It's the MSDN Academic Alliance: Online Software System or something like that). I knew I'ld probably need a new OS install when I replaced the mobo, and the old am2 cpu finally gave out, so I figured why not going with a legit copy of windows since I can, not to mention it's 64bit. I had my laptop download the iso and burn it at the slowest speed it can, 2X speed.

win XP home disc (32bit) - that came with a desktop from like dell i think. microsoft burned/made it, the front is all shiny and everything. I've had it for a while, never had issues with it, just after 30 days it wants a key. It would be enough to put an OS on the computer for the moment and prove everything works.

win Xp pro disc (32bit) - i burned. I forget where i got the iso.... which is why I've been using the win7 and xp home disc's. it's basically a backup disc these days.

no raid. i should one of these days, but for now i'm keeping it simple.

it's just the new hdd, dvd drive, graphic card, cpu, ram, mobo, usb mouse, and usb keyboard when I've been trying this (no tablet, no external hdd, it's all disconnected for now). I've had installs of windows be a bit dumb on me before if I have more than 1 hdd connected, putting vital files on the other hdd's so it can't boot without them, so I prevent that by only giving it 1. Technically the mouse and keyboard are connected to a hub connected to the desktop, but if it might help i'll try an install without the hub involved as soon as I get the chance. I even still have one of those old keyboards with the purple connector thing if it might help.

Thank you for the replies :)

4. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

Hi

Your mouse and keyboard should never be connected via a USB hub. They should ALWAYS be connected to a native USB port (one coming directly from your motherboard). I doubt this is THE issue you're experiencing, but it might help!

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

From your reply and great info and thanks, I would burn the ISo from MSDN ay slowest speed as possible, I have MSDN and TechNET and the ISOs can be as I mentioned fussy...... weird as they should burn right at full speed, but they do not always, maybe the brand of DVD... dunno but do try a burned DVD at slow speed.

Youre hardware seems ok for Win7, so as I mentioned also take out any un-necassary hardware fromt he PC, so as well as the extra HDDs, unplug any USB devices, apart from keyboard and mouse and then try the install.

6. demonofsarila

I tried unplugging the hub and only plugged in my keyboard. Still get the error.

I have the keyboard and mouse on the hub because i move my computer around a lot (being a dorm kid here, i don't stay in the same place more than a few months), so since i kinda regularly plug and unplug even my mouse and keyboard i put them on the hub, have for the past few years. has yet to cause issue. Yet.

I even tried the old keyboard (from before the days of usb keyboards) with no other input's connect to the computer. Still got the error.

slowest my laptop can do is 2X, which what I used both times I tried to burn the MSDN iso. Win7 kept giving that error where it thinks it needs dvd drive drivers. So, just to have an OS on it for the moment (and to rule out things like bad burns, bad drive on laptop, bad dvd brand, etc) I tried to use my official windows XP home disc. Using the xp home disc is when I get that error in my first post.

I still get the error with only:
    -the brand new hdd connected (and no others)
    -the 1 dvd drive connected (and have tried a friend's instead, didn't help)
    -an official Windows XP Home Edition disc in the dvd drive (burned/made by mircosoft, not me)
    -no usb devices
    -just a keyboard (not even a mouse), the type with that old purple connector
    -the mobo, cpu (+ heat sink), ram I posted links to
    -geforce 8800 ultra graphics card
    -750W psu & cord
    -3 fans attached to the case and my monitor

nothing else is in the computer, nothing else is connected to the computer, not even a network cord, wireless card, or speakers. Once I even tried removing both hdd's and it still gave me that error.

And thank you to both of you for the fast replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds