Windows wont load past white loading bar

Discussion in 'Software' started by Padmei, Mar 22, 2005.

1. Padmei

Padmei Private E-2

Ok, this is kind of a complicated problem, but Ill see what I can do.

I have had no real use for my laptop lately, so I decided to install Fedora Core, a version of Linux. I played around with it for a while, but eventually decided to reinstall Windows. I deleted the Linux Partition, and created a new DOS partition, and then used my system restore CD to put Windows XP back on it. After the restore finished, Windows would not load farther than a black screen and a blinking DOS cursor in the corner. I thought it might have been my master boot record, so I did "FDISK /mbr" using a Windows ME boot disk, and from then it loaded past that black screen, but only to another black screen where a white loading bar completes at the bottom. Upon completion of this loading bar, the computer hangs, and doesnt recover. If I reboot right then, it bring up the Windows XP boot options, complaining that I shut it down wrong, and offers safe mode, normal mode, or last known good config, none of which works. I thought I might try installing a version of Windows 98 and then if that worked, upgrade, but I thought I might let the pros try their stuff first.

if you need the stats check here

Any help would be....very helpful

~Padmei

2. Stygiis

Stygiis Private First Class

Windows has a hard time removing linux partition information from a hard disk and it can cause problems. Since you had linux installed on the hard drive I would suggest using a third party software program like partition magic to format the hard drive. Try this and let us know.

3. shakes21

shakes21 Private E-2

In safe mode, if you can get there, check Device Manager. This happend to me. I had a corrupted video driver.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds