Windows won't recognize my CD or DVD drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gpsmith, Oct 23, 2005.

1. gpsmith

gpsmith Private E-2

I'm running windows xp pro on an Athlon XP 3000+, Chanitech 7NJL6 NVIDIA Socket A ATX Motherboard. I have both a Panasonic LF-D521 Dvd burner and some type of generic 52X CD burner.
    I used both CD drives to install windows and office and all that stuff, but didn't put in the CD drivers yet. I didn't use either drive for a few days and I noticed that Windows is not recognizing them at all. On My computer neither drive is listed. When I put a CD in and try to boot off them nothing happens. When I disable the driver and reconnect them, windows detects them but I get this message in the device manager 'Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)' I have the drivers on CD, but of course I can't get them off of it.
    Does anyone have any ideas of how to fix this problem?
    Thanks
    Glenn Smith

2. Prophets21

Prophets21 Staff Sergeant

Yes. Open up device manager. Look under CD/DVD drives and find the model numbers. Search on Google for the "firmware" you need for that model number.
    Download the firmware and update as neccessary.

3. gpsmith

gpsmith Private E-2

Ok, I found the firmware for my model number on the panasonic, it's a Matshita/Panasonic LF-D521 A112 4&C5BFE8C&0&1.0.0 The other one is a generic 52X24X52 CD-RW 1.06 4&C5BFE8C&0&1.0.0 and I think I found a flash program for it rflash by Ricoh co ltd.
    When use the flash program for the panasonic it gives me an error 'the drive designated was not found' With the rflash program I can't choose a drive letter.
    Windows does not seem to have designated either of them a drive letter and they don't appear at all in My computer. They only appear in the device manager and in the listings when you reboot.

4. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

It's not the firmware if it's citing error code 39.

HERE is the solution, however it means a trip into the registry, so take all the usual precautions.

5. Prophets21

Prophets21 Staff Sergeant

thanks for correcting me on that. :)

6. gpsmith

gpsmith Private E-2

Thanks for your help guys. Once I did the registry adjustments the problem was solved.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds