Windows won't start after new sound card install!

Discussion in 'Software' started by Copasta, Oct 26, 2005.

1. Copasta

Copasta Private First Class

Yesterday, I installed a new SoundBlaster Live 5.1 soundcard, and upon the command to restart my computer for the install to take affect, I got the message:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:

WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIGSYS\SYSTEM

It then gives me an option of using the original Setup Disk and pressing "r" to repair, but it won't let me get that far to use it.

Please help! I am an IDIOT when it comes to computers, and am in uncharted waters at this point. I will try to give you whatever information I know about the computer, OS, etc. If you need any other info, please explain to me how to get it.....in other words....hold my hand through all of this!

I have an AthlonXP 2200+, with a 40gb hard drive running Windows XP Professional. I have not had any problems up to this point, and this seemed to be the MOST stable system I have ever had....virtually no crashes whatsoever!

Thank you so much for help in this matter. It is MUCH appreciated!

2. Copasta

BTW.....it won't let me go in under Safe Mode either! Just thought I would add that. Thanks!

3. Wavetar

Wavetar Sergeant

How far along does it go in safe mode? It should start out listing all the drivers it's loading...does it freeze on one of them? If so, which one?

4. Copasta

Sorry it took so long to reply.....I just got home from work!

Anyway, it doesn't even let me go into Safe Mode. As soon as I select SM and press enter, it goes into the message that I listed in the earlier post. Any thoughts?

5. Copasta

Sorry.....I just noticed that the message says CONFIG......NOT CONFIGSYS! Maybe that will change something....maybe not....Like I said before, I'm about as illiterate as they come when it comes to computers! Thanks for any help~

6. scouse

scouse Corporal

So using your orrigonal xp disc you cannot even get to the stage of doing a repair?

7. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

This is a case of a corrupted Windows Registry. It isnt too hard of a fix, but can take some patience. First, try removing the new sound card, powering on and trying 'Last Known Good' configuration.

if that fails, heres the MS Knowledge Base guide to solving this... a bit confusing, but basically you are backing up the current registry and restoring a not corrupted version via the Windows disk http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307545

8. Copasta

That is correct! It is the strangest thing. I have never had a problem with XP and it has seemed to be the most stable OS yet.....until now!

9. theefool

theefool Geekified

Sometimes/rarely adding a new sound card (without disabling the other onboard one) can cause havock on some machines. But, it can happen/rarely ( :) )

I'd try the removal of the sound card, and last known good as mentioned above. If this doesn't work, then a recovery console fix could help. Or, just do a Repair installation (50/50 chance) to get this up and running.

On a side note: I've ran a machine with multiple sound cards, but this was a music studio machine.

10. Copasta

This seems to have worked! It was tedious, and I had to reset alot of settings I had, but it is up and working now! Thanks a bunch! You guys are GREAT!!!!!!!!!!

11. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

glad you got that figured out! its a common problem and is certainly a pain in the butt, but i bet it feels good to get it back up all on your own ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds