Windows wont start up computer

Discussion in 'Software' started by maroonx, May 11, 2014.

1. maroonx

maroonx Private E-2

I have windows vista. I have attached a few screen shots. I tried every option. I tried hitting F8 but that does not work.

Attached Files:

2. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

Do you have the installation DVD and did you try doing the repair with the DVD inserted? I had a problem in Vista with a corrupt or missing Hal.dll and was able to repair Windows Vista using my DVD. I then made a Rescue CD using recdisc.exe that I had to download.

This page gives instructions on how to use the recdisc.exe you download and links to the download which you'll have to copy and paste into the address bar of your browser. The instructions say to use a blank DVD but, you can use a blank CD because the total amount burned is 131MB (for 32-bit).

3. Nick T

Nick T MajorGeek

Do you have a recovery partition ?

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

What do you mean by every option?
    Until we know your hardware, we have no idea what keys work at bootup.
    One of my computers uses Del and F12, another uses Alt+Esc, and a third uses F2 and F12.
    My point is F8 would do nothing on the three computers I'm currently sitting at. There is very little standardization as to what keys get you into the BIOS and get you to a boot menu before Windows loads. We currently have 8 computers in the house and I have labels taped to the side of the 5 desktop computers with the specific keys that work on that computer. For the three netbooks, I grab a note card and look.

5. maroonx

maroonx Private E-2

I don't have installation disc. F8 or f 11 is not responding. I can't get to desk top. If you look at the screen shots, that's all I can see.

6. maroonx

maroonx Private E-2

I don't have windows installation disc. The directions said I have to have one.

7. mdonah

As plodr requested, what is the make and exact model of the computer and which version of Windows are you running?

8. maroonx

maroonx Private E-2

Windows Vista
    Dell XPS 420

9. Spad

Spad MajorGeek

Here is a link to the Dell site that has the manuals and documentation for that model computer.

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/xps-420/manuals?c=us

The user manual has some good information about trouble shooting, and even restoring your computer to the factory image if it comes to that.

From what I've read you apparantly access the Dell hidden partition by pressing F8 several times when the Dell logo appears. I did not read in depth what option the Dell tools provide. Be advised if you can access the hidden partition and would be able to do a restore from it, any data you have on the computer will be gone for good - including any operating system updates that have come out since the computer was new.

10. maroonx

maroonx Private E-2

Thanks for the manual. I will definitely review it tonight. Like I have stated f8 does not get me to safe mode. I click the option to restore at a previous point. There is no precious point date that comes up. All the system recovery options startup repair, system restore, windows complete,pc restores,windows memory diagnostic tool, and command prompt. All do not work. I am set on wiping everything off so I can at least get to,the internet but I can et even get to that point.

11. mdonah

Since it's a Dell, if you go to the Dell Support site and enter your Service Tag number from the sticker on your computer, you'll have access to all the drivers and other downloads available for your specific computer. You may even be able to get an OEM OS installation DVD by calling Dell since you should have a Product Key sticker/COA on the computer case as well.

12. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Look at the blue lights on the back of the computer case. Which particular lights are blue? It helps if we can determine if a hardware failure is contributing to the problem.

13. Spad

Spad MajorGeek

Sorry - I thought you meant F8 for Windows advanced boot options, not the Dell tools.

One thing you might try . . . if you can get into the BIOS, change any settings that allow a faster boot. Most BIOS have settings to skip certain hardware tests to reduce the amount of time it takes a computer to start the operating system. I've had a few motherboards where this caused some issues getting into proprietary partitions or software on commercial computers. I'd imagine the manual will have directions on how to access the BIOS.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds