Windows XP Activation Question

Discussion in 'Software' started by Jawa Slayer, Jun 18, 2006.

1. Jawa Slayer

Jawa Slayer Corporal

Hi guys,
    My laptop came pre-installed with Windows XP Home, but I didn't get a Windows XP CD just a CD from the laptop supplier which installs XP along with a load of other crap. I decided to format my hard drive and install XP Home fresh, wihout the crap, so I borrowed a friend's copy of XP Home OEM and used my CD Key, which is stuck to the bottom of my laptop. The installation went fine, but now when I try to activate Windows, it tells me the CD key is invalid. Browsing through some pages on the internet I've figured out that the pre-installed version of XP Home my laptop came with was also pre-activated. Will Microsoft let me activate my non-pre-installed version of Windows XP Home if I can provide my own CD Key?

2. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

Yes, as long as it hasn't been used or activated before, and it's the correct product key.

OEM versions need an OEM key, retail use a retail key and so on.

3. karlmoll

karlmoll Private E-2

What's the difference between Retail and OEM? I've noticed OEM XP costs less. Is the difference in the features? How its registered? Is one easier to register than the other? Is it just in whats in the box like manual etc?

4. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

The licensing is different. An OEM license is more restrictive than a retail license.

Retail has free MS support, the manual and isn't tied to a particular machine.

OEM is tied to a particular piece of hardware and does not come with the manual or MS support.

They both go through the same activation process and have exactly the same features, though.

5. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

One of the most important differences between OEM and retail you need to be aware of, is that OEM, unlike retail, cannot be transferred to another machine.

Even a change of motherboard, unless it's faulty, means you have to purchase another copy.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds