Windows XP cannot find the AVI file type

Discussion in 'Software' started by loninappleton, Apr 10, 2013.

1. loninappleton

loninappleton Corporal

Windows XP shows OGG files at all my AVI's and with the Windows Media Player logo on them rather than usual VLC selection from install.

I noted that the AVI file type is no longer available in the file type list from Control Panel. I have tried to add that file type back in manually but it does not take the input. There are only so many ways you can type and save something in there.

How can this happen with no large change in system and how can I fix it?

Will simply an "open with" command and select VLC plus selecting open all of these type with the program? I just ran across that bit of repair instruction.

The point is AVI is not on the list and I don't know where it went. My VLC works fine and the file opens for viewing as normal. And all of the other file types are on that list in Control Panel undisturbed.

2. Spad

Spad MajorGeek

That's odd. Not sure what could cause that. Have you recently installed/uninstalled any new Audio/Video software? I've had Multimedia programs do all kinds of weird, unfriendly things to my computers . . . if you have, do a system restore from before you installed/uninstalled said software and see if that corrects the issue (if you have system restore running, that is - for it to be on is the default setting, and if you have never changed setting it should be running).

Yes, just using an "open with" command and choosing VLC player should work ok.

You might consider installing a Codec pack to see if that restores the AVI functionality . . . I've used K-lite before and found it useful:

http://majorgeeks.com/K-Lite_Codec_Pack_Basic_d5228.html

You can then also try renaming the extensions on your affected video files - but keep a copy of them before you do that.

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I would not install another codec pack. VLC has all the codecs included.

Have you tried resetting VLC?
    Tools then Preferences and press Reset Preferences and Save.
    Close out VLC then restart it to be sure it is reset.

4. loninappleton

loninappleton Corporal

Are the default file extensions in XP standard issue and why wouldn't I be able to add one back in.

All those Windows Media Player icons now displayed with AVI files say no file type associated. Asking for "open with" and then VLC starts the AVI but at that screen there is no prompt to associate 'all files of this type' with it at the default. Another error would occur since the AVI is simply not in the Folder Options > File Types in Control Panel.

I have put on some A/V things like the subtitle editor called Aegisub and also want to set up MeGUI for processing DVD's to hard disk files.

I've heard various recommendatios and also cautions about codec packs. K-lite and K-lite Mega are common but so is something called CCC.

My XP has not been updated (naturally) for years but would Restore then find the standard set of file types in the Folder Options? I will be able to run that later today and set it back pretty far.

Finally, why did my effort at simply adding a file type fail from that option on screen?

5. plodr

I don't use MWP so I can't answer anything concerning that.

That might have messed up some file associations. I'm not familiar with that program either.

What happens when you open Folder Options, File Types, click the new button, type in avi and associate it with a program?
    If you tried it
    what sort of error do you see?

6. loninappleton

loninappleton Corporal

I did was suggested and set a Systen Restore point a full month ago.

Other thing I did when entering the new file type within Folder Options by writing the *dot* preceding the AVI letters. That got it to stick in the list but it did not automatically find it's place in the alphabet. That's minor.

Then I was able at that point to open the dialog that asks associate all files of this type? check box.

This put the VLC icon back on my items where it belonged. I have to inspect again to see if the OGG notation are gone.

Thanks for the advice. Any one of these things might have been the ticket though I think that adding the .AVI was likely it.

7. plodr

Thanks for letting us know what worked. It might help someone in the future reading this thread.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds