WIndows XP CD key and software question

Discussion in 'Software' started by Donw35, Jan 30, 2007.

1. Donw35

Donw35 Private E-2

My company buys 100's HP computers that come with Windows XP installed and the CD Key label on the computer. These computers are re imaged and sent out with a corporate version of XP.

Would it be Microsoft legal to take the CD from and Key from these to install on a home computer ? not be sold but used by employees or there friends or family

These items are normaly thrown in the trash..

Thanks

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

No. These are OEM licenses that are supposed to be used on ONLY ONE COMPUTER. Its not legal to use them anywhere else.

3. Donw35

Donw35 Private E-2

I understand that they are OEM, I was thinking that the OS CD that came wiht the PC and the CD Key would be installed on one and one only other computer. They CD key and software is not be used on the deployed computers..

thanks for the reply, I hate to throug away something if its good.

4. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

The XP CDs can be used on any machine. The license cannot. It's the license you pay big bucks for. You can't legally use the product keys that are affixed to the side of the HP machines on any other machine. Those product keys can only be used legally on the computer they are attached to.

5. Donw35

Donw35 Private E-2

Thanks for the reply. that makes sense...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds